OT: People Proclaim the Right to Spread the Virus, but We Don't Have a Right to TikTok (2023 Update)

Tell me this country is not so messed up!

How again is TikTok a threat to national security???

Everything TikTok does is also done by Google, Yahoo and many other web sit es. It is claimed that TikTok gives the information mined to the Chinese g overnment. Really? PRC wants to know what clothes I'm buying and what mov ies I watch???

Is this the height of paranoia??? Is there any substance to this phobia?

Oh, I get it. Let's ignore the real issues of the economy and the coronavi rus and find an enemy to attack! We don't want to fight any shootin' wars, but we can pick on as many companies as we fell like. But not too far fro m the election. We don't want the courts telling us we were wrong so make sure there's not enough time for a court challenge.

Whatever. We'll only have to deal with this nonsense another few months.

--
  Rick C.

  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Ricketty C

Hundreds of thousands of TikToK users requested tickets to a big Trump rally with no intention of going. This lead to a big embarrassment to the Trump organization when they planned for a big overflow crowd. In fact only about a third of the stadium was full. Therefor, in typical Trump fashion, TikTok has to be punished.

Reply to
Dennis

Not really, but they want to know where the soldiers are, when they are taking selfies using TikTok during training. There were published paths of U.S. military bases in Turkey (i think).

Reply to
Ed Lee

sites. It is claimed that TikTok gives the information mined to the Chines e government. Really? PRC wants to know what clothes I'm buying and what mo vies I watch???

aking selfies using TikTok during training. There were published paths of U.S. military bases in Turkey (i think).

Of course that can't happen with Facebook or any other web site??? It's no t about what people did with a social media site, it's about creating paran oia over China.

If car companies start making cars in China for sale in the US I guess Trum p will ban them too saying they can spy on where we travel and may some day refuse to work crippling our transportation when the Chinese invade. How about we just stop buying anything from China and make everything the US ne eds in South Bend, Indiana? That should work well, no?

--
  Rick C.

  + Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Ricketty C

eb sites. It is claimed that TikTok gives the information mined to the Chin ese government. Really? PRC wants to know what clothes I'm buying and what movies I watch???

taking selfies using TikTok during training. There were published paths of U.S. military bases in Turkey (i think).

ot about what people did with a social media site, it's about creating para noia over China.

CCP does not have controlling interest in facebook. CCP invest and control TikTok top management, and to a lesser degree: Zoom.

ump will ban them too saying they can spy on where we travel and may some d ay refuse to work crippling our transportation when the Chinese invade. How about we just stop buying anything from China and make everything the US n eeds in South Bend, Indiana? That should work well, no?

Even if they don't export to the U.S., if they have large financial establi shment in China. CCP can twist the manfacturer's arm and leg. For example , they can order the manufacturer to disclose their rocket engine design, o r risk communizing their factories.

Reply to
Ed Lee

Strava revealed soldiers jogging around clandestine US military bases in some surprising locations. Probably other countries' bases as well.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

The argument is, the parent company is required (under Chinese law) to act as an agent of Chinese government. This means, by extension, that US-origin information which would not be available to US government without showing cause and getting a court order, is routinely available to China.

Maybe, if all TikTok US employees were to register as agents of a foreign power, it would satisfy 'the law' as now written. Because of the way those laws are written, a LOT of commercial data has little or no privacy protection, and that means that our own law enforcement can buy info without a court order... so there's a big privacy lobby AND a big anti-privacy lobby, and deadlock on data privacy legislation.

Presidential action is of questionable legality (and maybe too little, too late). European data privacy legislation (both EU and Russia) is not inspiring. We as a species haven't yet found a good way to deal with this social problem. Electronic design is WAY ahead, our customs and ethics have a lot of catching up to do.

Reply to
whit3rd

"The American is marked, in fact, by precisely the habits of mind and act that one would look for in a man insatiably ambitious and yet incurably fearful, to wit, the habits, on the one hand, of unpleasant assertiveness, of somewhat boisterous braggardism, of incessant pushing, and, on the other hand, of conformity, caution and subservience.

He is forever talking of his rights as if he stood ready to defend them with his last drop of blood, and forever yielding them up at the first demand."

The American Credo: A Contribution toward the Interpretation of the National Mind (1920)

Reply to
bitrex

I see little difference between the Chinese government and the US with regards to data security after the Patriot Act was passed in 2001.

Everything that goes over the internet in the US is stored and can be checked up on by the NSA or perhaps Homeland Security. With no recourse to the courts.

How is that different than what the Chinese might do with the data?

Really?

Some of us on the rest of the planet take some pains to store data outside of the USA...

John :-#(#

Reply to
John Robertson

This is a false argument, the parent company is not chinese.

  Jasen.
Reply to
Jasen Betts

The grand-parent company ByteDance Ltd. IS Chinese.

Reply to
Ed Lee

web sites. It is claimed that TikTok gives the information mined to the Ch inese government. Really? PRC wants to know what clothes I'm buying and wha t movies I watch???

re taking selfies using TikTok during training. There were published paths of U.S. military bases in Turkey (i think).

not about what people did with a social media site, it's about creating pa ranoia over China.

ol TikTok top management, and to a lesser degree: Zoom.

None of which is relevant. Google will sell your info to the highest bidde r and makes a lot of money doing it. No one is unhappy about that. You s till have not explained what the PRC is going to do with knowledge of what brand of underwear you buy.

Trump will ban them too saying they can spy on where we travel and may some day refuse to work crippling our transportation when the Chinese invade. H ow about we just stop buying anything from China and make everything the US needs in South Bend, Indiana? That should work well, no?

lishment in China. CCP can twist the manfacturer's arm and leg. For examp le, they can order the manufacturer to disclose their rocket engine design, or risk communizing their factories.

Yeah, right. LOL If China treats one manufacturer like that they all leav e the country.

--
  Rick C.

  -- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Ricketty C

"TikTok is neither owned, operated, nor controlled by China or the Chinese government. Indeed, TikTok does not even operate in China," the lawsuit states.

Why try to confuse the issue with the facts???

--
  Rick C.

  -+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Ricketty C

You believe everything lawsuit states? Well, technically true. TikTok is not, but ByteDance is.

TikTok is owned by ByteDance, with major share holders controlled by CCP. CCP said they must approve transfer, or they will shut it down.

Because you are confused.

Reply to
Ed Lee

e:

[...]

e the country.

For example:

wned-car-company

Reply to
Ed Lee

  • They know, because they make all of it and sell all of it to us. So they also know the markup and profit structure.
Reply to
Robert Baer

e:

to act as

rigin

showing

ese government. Indeed, TikTok does not even operate in China," the lawsuit states.

s not, but ByteDance is.

CCP said they must approve transfer, or they will shut it down.

I am confused enough to not understand why I should give a shit if the Chin ese government has their hands in the company.

Why should China be any different from other countries? The US government is all about getting information on everyone US companies deal with. As wa s pointed out they actually require the communications industry to provide access points into their networks for the US government to acquire any data available.

With the current lunatic running the country roughshod I'm not very worried about the Chinese tapping into dance videos.

This is the first time in my life I can honestly say (since Vietnam anyway) I am fearful of the future. Not because of TikTok, but because nearly hal f the voters in this country still feel that the right person was picked as President last election. Worse, those less than half the voters can poten tially control the election because of population distributions within the several states.

Yeah, that scares me. The Chinese, not so much.

--
  Rick C.

  +- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Ricketty C

I have an idea of how we can strike at the heart of the Chinese government. We just need to stop buying anything from them. Nothing. Quit cold turkey. I'm sure we can ramp up South Bend one more time!

--
  Rick C.

  ++ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Ricketty C

ote:

w) to act as

-origin

t showing

inese government. Indeed, TikTok does not even operate in China," the lawsu it states.

s not, but ByteDance is.

P. CCP said they must approve transfer, or they will shut it down.

inese government has their hands in the company.

is all about getting information on everyone US companies deal with. As wa s pointed out they actually require the communications industry to provide access points into their networks for the US government to acquire any data available.

ed about the Chinese tapping into dance videos.

y) I am fearful of the future. Not because of TikTok, but because nearly ha lf the voters in this country still feel that the right person was picked a s President last election. Worse, those less than half the voters can poten tially control the election because of population distributions within the several states.

Unfortunately, the west (U.S. included) does not teach marx, lenin and comm unism in school, at least well enough to understand what it means. Communi sm means everything belong to the state. CCP takes it one step further and everything belongs to the party, including their mind and speech.

Reply to
Ed Lee

I don't see anyone leaving any country when an investor / Venture Capitalist forecloses on a failing company.

I've known bailiffs to enter a premises with police in tow.

There are many instances where people who embezzle money find themselves the wrong side of the law too.

Without knowing any more about this and hearing the other side it's difficult to judge.

--
Mike Perkins
Video Solutions Ltd