OT: password etc removal

PROBLEM1, Remove networking, then that one will go away.

2, no idea PROBLEM3 Delete all user email accounts
Reply to
TTman

A clean install is best ! However search and delete .pwd files, that should solve 1.

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.

Have a friend with an E-Machine preinstalled WinME. Problem #1: name is presented and password requested; how to remove PW and alter username at meinimum? BTW, do not know PW, i just click on "cancel" and i am in the system. Problem #2: MSN installed; how do i remove all instances of username and password? Problem #3: OE installed; how do i remove all instances of username and password?

Icing on cake: Once all personal junk is "deleted" (even from the "recycle bin"), is there a better way to remove the dregs than a mere defrag?

Reply to
Robert Baer

..forgive me for my ignorance, but (at least) for Win2K, this sign-box is created during installation and seems to NOT be an option. ..so,,,how to remove it?

Reply to
Robert Baer

Unfortunately, a clean install is not an option, but that .PWD idea sounds very good. Thanks.

Reply to
Robert Baer

If you are sure it is what you want to do. Change to "Primary Network Logon" to "Windows Logon" or words to that effect in Control Panel, Networking.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

Sounds like an aquired system, perhaps stolen? Logins just dont appear overnight...

BTW, there is some linux software out there that should be able to solve your problems.

Reply to
The Real Andy

Boot DOS.

At the C> prompt, type:

Format C:

  1. Install Linux.

Have Fun! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

m.

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

Reformat, do a fresh install, and click the "I'm the only one who uses this machine" checkbox during install?

Or just install linux; but don't forget your password.

Have Fun! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Nah, its not that complex anymore. Put CD into drive, install linux.

Reply to
The Real Andy

Thanks. How would one go about changing the master user (sometimes called admimistrator) name without everything going nuts?

Reply to
Robert Baer

This system was bought new and used for a long time; the owner has a new computer and wants to sell this e-machine but wants all personal stuff removed - including the logon i mentioned which has been present since day one; do not ASS-u-ME that "it appeared overnight".

Reply to
Robert Baer

Wipe and re-install is out of the question; the owner does not want that. And i will not pay for ONE password that i do not need or want or can use. When i install Win2K and give no username or password at the outset, then it boots without the "window" giving a username and asking for a password. I want to remove that "window" in this WinME setup if at all possible. So...with the above restrictions, is it possible, and how?

Reply to
Robert Baer

Hmm.. will investigate this as an option. Thanks.

[...]

In which case, it's wipe and re-install. Otherwise, it *will* contain "personal" information.

Reply to
Nobody

Well, got it done. BUT.. After running Scandisk sucessfully, Defrag stops around 5% of the way with a window saying that scandisk needs to be run. How can this be fixed?

Reply to
Robert Baer

For 98 at least, there is a MSKB article dealing with recalcitrant scandisk. The first step is to delete the C:\\windows\\applog folder and all its contents.

Whether ME has any similarity I wouldn't know, I consider it to be a huge step backwards from 98SE in most regards.

Reply to
rebel