OT: OpenOffice not 100% compatible?

Hi Nico,

Sure, but the likelihood that Microsoft is going to use it is pretty darned slim!

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

Commodore? Did you ever try Speedscript?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

That's Microsoft's problem. Not a limitation of C++.

--
Reply to nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Hello Michael,

If you mean for the Commodore computers, I never had one of those. It was just the printer and this was a heavy duty industrial printer, weighing at least 50lbs. Once a strip of aluminum fell off a front panel and into the path of the sliding daisy wheel (which rode on a massive

1/2" rod). The printer crushed it and continue as if nothing had happened.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

I did, and -- the later versions -- weren't bad for a free program (well, OK, maybe the $3 cost of the magazine or something, but effectively free).

My preference was for Paperclip III by Batteries Included... for the time, a really nice word processor. It even had print preview, using a really skinny font to get 80 columns on the C-64's 320x200 screen!

I tried GeoWrite a few times just for fun (by then I had much fancier machines for "serious" documents), and -- if you had a RAM disk! -- it made a C-64 almost as good at Word 1.0 for Windoze. :-)

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

platform != hardware [1] hardware == hardware

A platform is a target which a developer targets when building an app. It is characterized by a *toolkit*. These days x86 *hardware* can contain multiple *platforms* e.g., Windoze, Linux, BSD... . . [1] x86 Macs will make for an interesting interpretation of your definition.

Reply to
JeffM

Hi Nico,

OK, I see your point. Still, for any given platform, I'd think that Java alone would be significantly more portable than "C++ with WxWidgets as the GUI library."

How does WxWidgets do insofar as having the end application "feel" like the "native" applications on a given platform do? I had occasion to use BitTorrent on a Windows PC last night, and it looks rather "odd" (even though it functions just fine) given that it was built as a cross-platform application using Python and GTK. More than just the looks, though, it doesn't use the system standard file requestor, instead using its own which is more limited than the system's.

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

If Java is available for that platform. I think a WxWidgets based application can run on more (also space limited PDA) platforms than a Java based application.

Good question. For size and speed limitations I run the fvwm95 window manager on my Linux box. This means my Linux desktop looks just like a Windows desktop (KDE is just too much eye-candy). The application I compiled on both Linux and Windows looks pretty similar. The gtk2 file requester is being used on Linux and the standard Windows file requester is used on Windows.

--
Reply to nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Remember it? I still have it somewhere. :-)

Of course, I don't have a system currently set up that can read the 5.25" floppy disks it is on, assuming they still work.

Reply to
Carl Smith

Don't forget that there was never a virus, worm, or trojan written for the ROM based OS in the older Commodore computers. ;-)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

That sounds like the 8032P wide carriage dot matrix I had. it had the IEEE-488 interface, and used a lot of the channels to set different features. I'll bet that you could have printed on a cardboard box if you could have got it into the paper feed without jamming it first. I know that i printed on some 90 pound tractor feed paper I picked up surplus. It was white on one side and yellow on the other, and surplussed from a government agency when they quit using Teletype machines. A couple cases of paper like that could have made me a multimillionaire while I was in the military, and I used it to print business cards.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Hello Michael,

I don't remember but the part number rings a bell. It was much wider than letter size and it had an IEEE-488 interface. Actually, that interface is the only part I still have.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

I use CUTEPDF which behaves like a printer, but produces a PDF file.... I prefer it over PDF995 since it does not try to open a webpage of advertising.

Not ot mention, it's free and a websearch for CUTEPDF will find a site to download it from.

This way, regardless of the program, I send my files as PDF to customers and it keeps things clean and simple.

Jim

Reply to
Jim

In article , wrote: [...]

.. and then the very first thing you say is false.

It isn't the fact that MS-Office is C++ that makes it harder to port. The fact that it wasn't written with porting in mind is what makes it harder to port.

If you do your java user interface using swing, you can create programs that don't port easily or ones that do.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

In article , Joerg wrote: [....]

I think you want to never use the MS word format to send a document to others. Do a hex dump of one some time. You will see snapshots of bits of your system RAM included. It seems that MS allocates blocks of memory as buffers for stuff without clearing them. The result is that other information can end up in the document.

I got a word document from someone that contained a bunch of stuff that looked like it may have been payroll information.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

Re: Something I read recently: http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:AUFVmfF0U3sJ:

(So far I have only READ about it.)

--with a caveat: http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:MllCTbivLfMJ:portableapps.com/support/portable_openoffice+mis-identify-many-NSIS-based-applications-as-trojans+zzz+crash+macros-and+qq+poor-trojan-detection+Java-is-not-*-portable-with-*-OpenOffice

Reply to
JeffM

Hello Jeff,

http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:AUFVmfF0U3sJ:

http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:MllCTbivLfMJ:portableapps.com/support/portable_openoffice+mis-identify-many-NSIS-based-applications-as-trojans+zzz+crash+macros-and+qq+poor-trojan-detection+Java-is-not-*-portable-with-*-OpenOffice

Thanks, I have to check that out. Although, the mentioned footprint of a whopping 167MB doesn't look all that "small".

In the 90's I could carry my MS-Works on a single 1.44MB floppy and it still had space for data files. That's efficiency. With that software package I could do almost everything I do today except fancy presentations or graphics editing.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Joerg wrote in news:53J9g.26891$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com:

167 MB is rediculous. We should ask Terje how in the world programs can get this bloated.

How about 64k? I wrote my own DOS editor based on Borland SPRINT. This is a

1980's era editor you could program to emulate virtually any existing editor of the time. My editor handles some 11 different file formats ranging from ASM through C, Pascal, HTML, plain ASCII, and my own IDX format for storing newsgroup postings. It can show utp to 26 files simultaneously, and the editor automatically detects which file format is current and adjusts the commands accordingly. So the same function key has the same effect regardless of the type of file.

The program is an interpreter, but it is still far faster than any windows program I have seen. It has a full spell checker that is better than anything else I have seen bar none, and a complete thesaurus. The actual program fits into one 65,530 byte overlay. The largest EXE is the main interpreter at 116k. Everything fits on one floppy with plenty of room for other utilities.

The next trick is to transfer files between DOS and Windows, so you need a Windows editor that handles the type of file you are working with. The problem now is if you edit the file in SPRINT, and also in the windows editor, the windows editor will overwrite the SPRINT version, and you lose all your data.

There is an extremely slick Windows editor that solves this problem. If you change the file in DOS, it checks the file date and automatically reloads the newest version. If you have also edited the file in the windows editor, it asks which version do you want to keep. The program is called EditPad, and there is a free version at

There are still some very smart programmers left:)

Regards,

Mike Monett

Reply to
Mike Monett

Part of teh information leak was by design. Copy-pasting a graph from Excel into PowerPoint would place the whole Excel document in the PowerPoint doc.

Double click on that graph and teh whole spreadsheet shows up. Can be interesting!

Thomas

Reply to
Zak

Hello Mike,

Nice. Although I do the editing that needs to be done on DOS files in DOS. And I kept my copies of DOS-Word, Works and all that. After all I paid for all this since PCs didn't come pre-loaded in the old days.

Yes but their ranks are thinning fast. Aging takes its toll. It's the same with HW designers. Most grads are pretty good at doing VHDL or even ASICs but give them a solder iron and a few discretes and they are stuck. "But SPICE says it ain't gonna work that way..."

Regards, Joerg

Joerg