OT: Oil Spill-why we're not using skimmers

[s]elected top talking head.

but..but..that would imply pre[s]elected... Tell me it ain't so.

mike

Reply to
m II

It will be an interesting story, to be sure. Might make a good movie.

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

ternal-september.org:

Sure, that's the intention of the law. But that good intention has absurd results here, just as enforcing the EPA oily-discharge standards against skimmers. And often the side-effect is to steal someone's property, livelihood, or civil liberty. Here it's free speech & freedom of the press.

These are flaws inherent in big central government--it's inflexible and unresponsive, leading to absurd and disastrous results.

This is why we had States.

-- Cheers, James Arthur

"Government is force; like fire it is a dangerous servant -- and a fearful master." --George Washington, 1797

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

.
.

ot

Some of the ribbing's tongue-in-cheek, as he made so much of his predecessor's supposed Katrina shortcomings. But at this point it really is the President's baby--he didn't cause the leak, but he *is* responsible for the clean up (under US law), he's told us he's in charge, he leapt in to take credit for the top-kill, then faded off into BP-bashing when it failed.

He owns it.

Fortunately it hasn't distracted him from his "laser-like focus on jobs."

James

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Brains and guts and ability to command might be better than the paralysis and bureaucratic stupidity we have now.

John

His only real skill seems to be talking. As long as the teleprompter is working properly.

Look at his head as he talks. It's like a metronome, going side to side, alternating teleprompters.

John

innews:i0m914$oth$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

And presumably why we have a President in charge of running things. So he can tell people to do what's right when it matters.

The nonsense with the life preservers and fire extinguishers, and the

15 PPM oil thing, and the 2000 other skimmers held in reserve for *other* emergencies, should have ended a few careers. I know of one career I'd like to see it end.

John

"Laser-like"? "No, Mr. Taxpayer, I expect you to be *UNEMPLOYED*!

Reply to
krw

They all do it to some degree. I remember a certain debate where you could see the teleprompter receiver bulge between the shoulder blades of a candidates' suit.

The rumours had it that there was no sound involved whatsoever, as Cheney had the thing wired directly into his servant's spinal nerve bundle.

A miracle of modern medicine.

mike

Reply to
m II

Sure. he's to lazy to carry his golf clubs, so he always needs a caddy.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

is not

And a pizza chef ;-)

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Ah that i could, but obummer did win the primary.

Reply to
JosephKK

that

can

=A0The

.
.

is not

Good old mutating signals Obummer. 8*P

Reply to
JosephKK

Sarah just jots a couple of reminders on the palm of her hand.

Palin/Jindal '12!

Or

Jindal/Palin '12!

Whatever.

John

I wouldn't count McCain out yet. Gore never returned, but you can bet that the shape this country is in means that he won't be giving up soon. If there is anything left, that is.

Reply to
StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt

I fear that he's too old now.

Big mistakes made by the US electorate:

Not re-electing Bush I, an excellent President.

Electing Omama, a train wreck of a president.

Both were driven by fascination by the charisma of a fraud.

John

Henry Ross Perot did not think so.

hamilton

Reply to
hamilton

Wow! Did you come up with that yourself?

Reply to
krw

Yeep, anrt u prood of me >!!

Reply to
hamilton

Hey, didn't charisma have a lot to do with the election of your current governor? What grade do you give him these days? :-)

I like the guy down there who's claiming it may be "technically impossible" to get the payroll system to put all the government employees at minimum wage. Somehow I suspect that if it were legislated that they all make $100/hr, they'd find some way around whatever technical problems the payroll system might have... :-)

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner