OT: No color in videos

OS: Win2K, with SP4 installed and Update Rollup 1 for Win2K SP4 (which makes the OS SP5 AFAIK). Browser: Seamonkey 2.7 .

TWO different hard drives, one used for ages; one new one (made in last few days).

BOTH have the following drivers and software installed: Divx Codec, Divx Converter, Divx Player, Media 9 Player*, M$ WinDoz Media Video 9 VCM, NVIDIA Drivers (am using separate video capture card to drive DELL monitor), WinDoz Media Encoder 9 Series, WinDoz Media Player system update (9 Series) VLC media player 1.1.11. BOTH have same video plugins: Shockwave Flash 10.1.102.64 and WinDoz Media Player Plug-in Dynamic Link Library 3.0.2.628 . (*): In Control Panel, add/remove programs, the Media PLayer is shown on the old HD, but is not seen on the new HD (but it works).

On the net, everything that should have color shows color: web pages, news reports, videos, etc no exceptions. NO difference as to what is seen between hard drives.

BUT, download ANY video and try to play it.. Old drive IN COLOR, new drive, gray(!!).

I tried various video formats with a number of players. The chart below uses N=nogo, C=color, and G=grey only.

video media--> WMV V17.AVI CLOCK.AVI MPG MP4 Media Player 6.4 . . G G C G N Media Player 9.0 . . G G C G N VLC . . . . . . . . G G C G G DIVX . . . . . . . . G C C G N

Notes: "V17.AVI" is a standard AVI, in this case a movie of some ducks swimming; "CLOCK.AVI" is a sequence of frames made by POV Ray, similar to making an animated GIF.

So, i must apologize,the problem is obviously NOT with VLC, it is more fundamental. With that said, any pointers to a solution are welcome. Again, this is only on my "new" hard drive.

Help??

Reply to
Robert Baer

just a guess, region is not correctly set and restricted media is kicking in?

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

Region??? You mean ALL video sources are coded (after / at download)? Including M$ demos, M$ training, YouTube, etc & etc?

Reply to
Robert Baer

Most video material contains region coding although the region can be set to "none". Those of us not in the US are well used to buying chipped DVD players to defeat region coding (as are NASA).

However, in this case I expect user error to be the likely cause of trouble. Try encoding some video on your machine and playing that.

If your problem stems from region mismatch then video material encoded on your PC should play on your PC. There are tools to remove or edit region coding. What happens if you try to play a DVD on it?

Try Apple QuickTime since that has almost no components in common with the other media players you have mentioned.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Try VLC media player.

And try booting an XBMC live boot stick or disc.

That would be a live Linux session. XBMC also has a "Windows version".

I have found that the library of encoding/decoding they install has yet to hit a snag on any machine I ever put it on.

DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

huh? got make and for these?

I've seen no, partial, or intermittent colour rendering where the system didn't have sufficient rendering capacity (or possiblt bus badwidth?) to decode the video stream fully, if you don't have a hardware codec using video libraries optimised for your CPU may help.

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

i meant make and nodel number.

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

Check the video settings. It's possible to have one set of display settings (brightness, contrast, saturation, etc) for video[1] and another for everything else. The details depend upon your graphics hardware (each vendor includes their own "control panel" as part of their driver bundle).

[1] For this purpose, "video" seems to mean anything which is handed to the OS in the YCbCr colour space, while "everything else" means RGB.
Reply to
Nobody

I think i was not clear regarding the problem. I am looking at videos downloaded from the internet, and demonstration videos given as part of purchased software (eg: swimming ducks, V17.AVI, from Ulead Video Studio). Videos seen on the internet are OK; the flash or media player add-on handle those. After downloading they "become" WMV. MP3, FLV etc and the colored electrons got sent to Alpha Centari, leaving me the drab and tired electrons.

Reply to
Robert Baer

  • BOTH WD 40Gbytes; aint the drive..

Reply to
Robert Baer

Sorry, NO so-called control panel for any of them - M$ players, drivers or codecs; ditto DIVX, ditto VLC.

Besides, the software installed on the new drive is the same that _had_ been installed on the "old" drive; difference is what the software was obtained from the internet.

Reply to
Robert Baer

It's the video drivers which provide the control panel. Historically, the access route was: right click on desktop, select Display Properties to bring up a properties dialog, to which the vendor (e.g. nVidia) would have added their own tab with a button to open their control panel application.

I'm assuming its the settings (which may be in the registry or in a separate config file), not the software per se.

I can't think of anything else which would produce the same issue with many different programs (particularly as that list includes VLC, which doesn't use DirectShow or installed codecs).

Reply to
Nobody

  • Settings / Control panel / Display produces exactly same result. This might have given ability to fix problem, so thanks for the info. I gave up and made a copy of old/original HD and am using that for "new".
Reply to
Robert Baer

Huh? who's making 40G winchester drives this year?

assuming I'm right, (having not seen any evidence to the contrary) could there be something different about the new drive that's causing a large load on the CPU when you read data from it.

encryption? content scanning?

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts