OT: My Culinary Education

With my wife of nearly 55 years in poor health I've taken on some of the cooking duties. Here is my first attempt at Sweet & Sour Pork...

It was great ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Jellybeans...??!

Whole (cut up) chicken was on sale the other day, so I marinated and grilled most of that, tossing the off-cuts and bones in the stock pot. Then I strained the broth, added beans, and let that simmer for a while longer. Finish with carrots, and sausage seared with onions and garlic.

The soup's kind of odd-ball. Made it once out of suboptimal fridge contents, turns out it's a pretty good way to make a soup.

What about the gizzards? Saved the best for last. Going to make cheese sauce with them tonight, over pasta.

And besides that, I have the chicken for sandwiches the next week or two.

Also, cherries are exceptional right now. From WA I think.

Tim

-- Seven Transistor Labs Electrical Engineering Consultation Website:

Tim Williams

Key to good soup or beans, and a lot of other good things, is home-made chicken stock. The canned stuff is awful, chicken and MSG flavored salt water.

We get a rotisserie chicken, make a meal from that, and then stock. Carcass and lots of meat chopped fine, a big onion, celery, a carrot or two maybe, half a dozen peppercorns, simmer for a few hours.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

That doesn't look like something you would feed a sick person. Crazy.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

We go that one better... we take a whole chicken and simmer it until the meat falls off the bones. Skim the fat off the broth and save the broth. Meat gets saved for various functions... salads, whatever. ...Jim Thompson

By the time my broth is done, the meat is inedible. All the protein has been extracted.

Precision electronic instrumentation

My wife does something she pronounces "lew", but I don't know the true spelling... it's obviously some French technique... my wife is of Dutch/French ancestry. ...Jim Thompson

I haven't had sweet and sour in quite some time. I'm curious, how much sugar is added or is all the sweetness from the fruit?

--

Rick
Reply to

No sugar at all. ...Jim Thompson

What do you use to make the sauce thicken?

--

Rick
Reply to

veggies and onions, then added the sauce... once heated through I poured it out into the serving dish and sprinkled the pineapple bits and tomatoes on top last to avoid wilting them. ...Jim Thompson

Oh, then the sauce likely has plenty of sugar in it. No?

--

Rick
Reply to

..

uch

d the

most ready made stuff is full of salt and HFCS

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Likely arrowroot. ...Jim Thompson

Jim, Here are some recommendations to remove pain and stop various ailments of aging.

Turmeric, a cheap spice found in Indian groceries, will generally remove any physical pain you (or your wife has.) It's extremely safe, and it worls as an anti-inflammatory. It takes about a week to work. It also prevents alzheimers and cancer. I have been mixing it with refried beans to help absorption - it absorbs better mixed with food and cooked.

Ginger is a good accompaniment with it. Millions of Indians have used this for

1000's of years to good effect. I assess it's absorption by looking for a yellow color in my urine. Curcumin, a constituent, absorbs at 420 nm. This is a very handy way to see if it is getting absorbed.

It is called "Indian Gold" for good reason. Safe to try.

I am not a doctor, and this is not medical advice. check with your doctor about this.

jb

I have others...

Reply to
haiticare2011

[snip]

Physical injuries to spine due to a fall four years ago. ...Jim Thompson

the T. can lessen the inflammatory response and help with the pain. I bought an inversion table for spine - haven't used it yet. Exercise a very good idea, if poss.

Reply to
haiticare2011

Did you look at the ingredients? "Likely"???

--

Rick
Reply to

So Indians don't have pain and don't get Alzheimer's or cancer?

--

Rick
Reply to

I'm sure everyone's condition is different. I have had back trouble most of my life after age 30. I finally got rid of my pain when I started kayaking and strengthened my "core" muscles. This is something you hear about from nearly every source on back pain, strengthen the muscles and they take the load off the spine... or at least prevent the body from placing abnormal loads on the spine.

I also highly recommend yoga if the two of you are able. As taught by many instructors, it is a very gentle way to stretch and strengthen many muscles in the body. Be sure to find an instructor who understands your limitations and doesn't push your limits. There are a few who are into more "extreme" yoga that is best for the very healthy.

If you are anywhere near Castle Rock, Colorado I can highly recommend Bev Johnson.

Doctors are great when you need a doctor. But they have very limited understanding of many things and back pain is one of them. When the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail. If you and your doctor think moderate exercise would be ok you might want to try yoga and some exercise which will strengthen the core muscles.

--

Rick
Reply to