OT: "Minmum" wage crap

Perfect example, no more needs to be said.

Jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

^^^^^^^^^

Indeed you are.

Reply to
krw

You know old Man, if all you have left in life is the ability to pick out bad spelling, be it a mistake or not, you have ran out of mojo.

Of course, the above statement can only be true, if you had any mojo to start with. Me thinks you came up short most of your life.

Jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

imum wage is good?

Party ward committee by a Cambridge academic around 1990 - talked about fas t food stores in Texas, where the shop owners had been competing with one a nother to pay the lowest possible wage, making the jobs very undesirable - people only took the work when there was absolutely nothing better availabl e, and dumped it as soon as anything better came up.

ff better, the jobs became more attractive, the staff stayed long enough to learn how to do the work properly, the customers were happier, and ate fas t food more often, and the fast-food shops made their owners more money - e ven though they were paying out more in wages, the extra business more than made up for that extra cost.

o deliver the optimal solution. If the fast-food shop owners had been ratio nal agents, they'd have been paying better serving staff higher wages in or der to hang onto them, but anyone who'd broken ranks to do that would have got a hard time from the other shop owners.

If you bother to look on the internet you will find other studies that cont radict the study you reference.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

inimum wage is good?

r Party ward committee by a Cambridge academic around 1990 - talked about f ast food stores in Texas, where the shop owners had been competing with one another to pay the lowest possible wage, making the jobs very undesirable

- people only took the work when there was absolutely nothing better availa ble, and dumped it as soon as anything better came up.

taff better, the jobs became more attractive, the staff stayed long enough to learn how to do the work properly, the customers were happier, and ate f ast food more often, and the fast-food shops made their owners more money - even though they were paying out more in wages, the extra business more th an made up for that extra cost.

to deliver the optimal solution. If the fast-food shop owners had been rat ional agents, they'd have been paying better serving staff higher wages in order to hang onto them, but anyone who'd broken ranks to do that would hav e got a hard time from the other shop owners.

ntradict the study you reference.

Only if you define "good" as creating more jobs, and only creating more job s. It probably delivered extra jobs in Texas, but only because the fast foo d shop owners had gotten stuck in an irrational beggar-my-neighbour competi tion. If you read all of what I wrote rather than snipping it (and not mark ing the snip), you would have found that the last lines said

"It probably ought to be seen as making the economy as a whole more capital intensive, increasing the value of capital, and raising interest rates, wh ich is actually deflationary. If you've got to make individual workers more productive, because you have to pay them more, you've got to invest more c apital in the tools that make them more productive.

And you'll need fewer of them ... "

Economic progress involves making people more productive, and minimum wages are one of the tools that encourages this.

Over a couple of centuries we've moved from a situation where half the popu lation worked on farms to grow enough food to feed the other half to one wh ere a few percent of the population can feed the rest of us. That's good - a point that seems to have evaded David Neumark.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

No, I read the same thing that you posted.

Maybe you should listen to yourself sometime.

Jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

His output does make more sense than yours. With your reading comprehension problems, you may not be aware of this.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Putz.. classical waste of space.

Jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

Having driven off their employers, they're just trying to fleece visitors by targeting the airport-area hotels, not the ultra-rich ones nearby...

"In addition to the lost jobs and reduced hours, all new hotel construction near the airport has moved to the neighboring cities of El Segundo, Inglewood, Manhattan Beach and Culver City where the rule doesn't apply, Amano said. Likewise, the new Los Angeles city rule will not apply to the L.A.-area municipalities of Beverly Hills, West Hollywood, Burbank and Santa Monica."

It's hilarious.

Reminds me of New Orleans, cocksure that the World Fair would make everyone rich 'cause "Who wouldn't want a steaming vaca in New Orleans, mid-summer?"

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

use the less intelligent public will vote for them.

That too, but Dan's right, you need voters to pull it off.

e better? Going right to a minimum wage of say $50 an hour would make all those that still had jobs rich , until the economy adjusted and the increas e in the cost of living put those that still had jobs back into poverty. A person making minimum wage will always be in poverty regardless of how high the minimum wage is.

The real minimum wage is zero--no job.

The reason wages are as low as they are in LA is because workers are able a nd willing to work for those wages. No doubt that's partly because they're enabled by Big Government subsidies.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Might you name the newsletter? Of course not!

The reason that the law applies to hotels is because they are raising the minimum wage of a type of business where it's very difficult to "go elsewhere." It's not like moving a factory to Mississippi for lower cost labor.

It takes a hotel maid about 20 minutes to clean a room. If her (or his) pay goes from $8 to $15 per hour that's $2.33 more per room per day. Since all hotels are equally affected, no one is at a disadvantage. They can choose to absorb the extra cost, increase the room rate, or do something in-between.

Some hotels already offer the option of "towel only" service instead of the room being cleaned every day, and give a slight discount if you agree to it. That practice could increase as wages increase. Of course that's bad for the housekeeping staff as well. See .

Reply to
sms

Except that illegal workers have many of those collected from them, and the money goes to the government, even though they get none of the benefits. These workers are not paid off-the-books. They have fake SSNs.

Reply to
sms

Then people can just go to a different city or state for vacation. Or even stay HOME!

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Hotels are not that affected because all of them in the same area would be subjected to the same increased cost so each would have to decide how to address those costs whether it's higher prices or reduced service. A modest increase in wages for the lowest paid workers is not going to raise prices to the point where the hotel goes out of business unless it already has other financial issues. Hotel users are not going to drive to another city to save $5 a night, especially in a place like L.A. where it takes so long to get to a neighboring city (unless you're right on the boundary).

Restaurants are another story because so much of their business is discretionary. As prices at restaurants go up, and essential expenditures like housing go up in cost, people eat out less. Several restaurants that we used to go to fairly often have closed recently. Between rent, labor, and food costs, they could not continue because there is so much price sensitivity from customers, while landlords want to keep increasing rents.

The good news for diners, and for the obesity epidemic, is that some of the worst restaurant chains are suffering and may shut down. But that is bad news for the employees.

Reply to
sms

My wife and I ate out last night at a local Thai place. Did not look good. The help out numbered the customers. I will not be surpriesd if the restaurant closes.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Or go to a less expensive hotel. The last time I stayed at a motel was when my wife and I were house hunting and we could choose the town we stayed in.

Dan

--

> Anyone wanting to run for any political office in the US should have to
>
> have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
dcaster

May not be in too much trouble. Restaurants? Dry Cleaners? Nail Salons? Beauty Parlors? and Car Washes [as shown on Breaking Bad] ALL these businesses can exist, show sales, pay taxes, where one would think NOT possible.

Reply to
RobertMacy

I haven't stayed in a Hotel or Motel in over 20 years. I gave up on eating out, because of lousy service and long wait times.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

You didn't have to go to Canada?

Reply to
krw

We go out two or three times a week (usually Pizza Friday night and Mexican or sandwiches Sunday afternoons). I also go out with sales people for lunch at least twice a week (four times last week and I have two on the schedule already this week). I don't find lousy service or long waits often. If I run into crappy service too many times, there are other restaurants. Actually, I find the service in the restaurants to be generally exceptional. I hate waiting for the check and it's the quickest way for the tip to start evaporating.

Reply to
krw