OT: March 2020 hydroxychloroquine study

No significant effect vs. control group:

Reply to
bitrex

Too bad (expected), but there's no supply now anyway.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Unfortunately I smell a (bio)-engineering rathole on this one. "It looks good in the sim"

Hydroxychloroquine has been touted for decades as a quack cure-all for all sorts of even possibly fictitious diseases like "chronic" Lyme disease, and Morgellons disease.

It has an anti-inflammatory/immuno-suppressant effect so might save some lives of severely ill patients if they're being taken down mostly by their own immune system as looks like sometimes happens with this, "cytokine storm" I see it's called. and other drugs with that effect would probably help, too. but the jury is still out on whether it does a thing to prevent the illness from evolving to that state.

Reply to
bitrex

The Chinese are probably lying so they can get it all for themselves... even though they don't need it anymore.

--
  Rick C.

  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Rick C

Have a friend who tried it for Bechet syndrome until the new drug Humira worked way better, a real miracle drug for that condition it seems.

500mg of HCQ make you feel like shit so maybe good as a quack cure for that reason, feels like it's doing something
Reply to
bitrex

the FDA has pretty much nothing to lose by just turning the meds loose. The Trumpers are demanding it, it'll be months or years before anything conclusive is known. Some Americans live, some Americans die (and probably at a higher rate than most other places) and you can always claim "great success!"

afterwards and that more would have if you hadn't and nobody can prove you wrong, or at least not anytime soon or in a paper anyone will read.

Only people very annoyed will be lupus and arthritis patients who used the drugs before and can't get 'em and the people who die of side-effects and they don't have a lobbying firm with which to complain.

Reply to
bitrex

even though they don't need it anymore.

If you stopped reading only liberal news sites, you would know that seve ral large pharmaceutical companies are making large production runs of Hydr oxychloroquine to ensure a steady supply. For instance, Novatris is supplyi ng up to 130 million free doses.

Reply to
Michael Terrell

Entirely tangential to the question of whether the drug actually does anything. It's pretty cheap to produce. Don't expect anyone particularly wants to be the company to tell the Trump FDA "nah we'll wait on more clinical evidence"

It works great they're heroes, it doesn't well they'll get taxpayer-reimbursed either way. And whether it works great or not it will be claimed it worked great by the faithful.

Reply to
bitrex

.. even though they don't need it anymore.

.

veral large pharmaceutical companies are making large production runs of Hy droxychloroquine to ensure a steady supply. For instance, Novatris is suppl ying up to 130 million free doses.

Yeah, they are ramping up ventilator production too. But when will there b e results?

Why do people talk in terms of "up to"??? So one would be included in "up to 130 million".

--
  Rick C.

  + Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Ricky C

I hope as much as anyone they got something in the catalog that's effective and can be deployed soon, whether it's this or something else I don't particularly care; I have an 82 y/o mother and a per-existing condition myself and would not be optimistic about our own chances. If Donald Trump himself discovers M&Ms cures it tomorrow I will sing his praises (at least on that issue) to the heavens.

But I'm skeptical. Combos of antibiotics and HCQ have been touted as miracle cures for lots of things over the years, mostly by quacks. "do the research." The particular treatment in question has a dubious provenance.

Reply to
bitrex

... even though they don't need it anymore.

e.

ng

d.

in.

t several large pharmaceutical companies are making large production runs o f Hydroxychloroquine to ensure a steady supply. For instance, Novatris is s upplying up to 130 million free doses.

re be results?

"up to 130 million".

Trump has known all along what cures it, taco bowls! Isn't that what he ra n his campaign on?

--
  Rick C.

  -- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Ricky C

They do fix hunger I'll give him that. He runs some decent man-of-the-people game (though poor whites, blacks and Hispanics alike didn't tend to vote for him, seems to appeal most to upper-middle-class suburban "renegades" around here, lol), I'm not much of a food snob.

I was 35 probably before I ate at a Ruth's Chris or Del Frisco's and was surprised at just how kinda OK it was for the price, the Brazilian steakhouse Fogo de Chao down the street is better for less money. Wait, I guess that makes me a food snob, now. Ungh.

Reply to
bitrex

Not sure how well that study was done and remember that it is from China so I'm not sure I would believe just one study from China anyway.

hydroxychloroquine is an ionophore which just makes a way for zinc to get into the cells and do its thing to stop the virus from replicating. Maybe the people in that study had too low of zinc levels ?

Reply to
boB

Here is another interesting paper:

"The supercomputer ran simulations of over 8,000 compounds that could bind to the spike protein of the virus, which could limit its ability to spread to host cells. Summit identified 77 of them and ranked them based on how likely they were to bind to the spike."

One of the top four is eriodictyol. Yerba santa extract, you can get it in a nasal spray. I tried some of the spray, who knows about c-19 but it does seem good for my springtime allergies, seems to really clear up the sinuses.

Reply to
bitrex

.. even though they don't need it anymore.

.

veral large pharmaceutical companies are making large production runs of Hy droxychloroquine to ensure a steady supply. For instance, Novatris is suppl ying up to 130 million free doses.

From what I understand the studies are being done in the US now and we'll know something later this month. From here,

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Thanks for the links. All good stuff that they need to try !

It may very well be that the hydroxychloroquine will only work for Sars-Covid-2 in vitro. We will see.

I have a feeling that something will work within a few months but not a vaccine because of all the testing needed that makes it take a long time. Anti-virals can work pretty well though for a lot of people.

Good luck to us all !

Reply to
boB

boB wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com: