FPGA Exchange

I'd like to introduce a new FPGA discussion forum. It's called FPGA Exchange, and you can check it out at:

Feel free to jump in, create new topics, or answer existing ones.

Guy.

Reply to
Guy Eschemann

Any reason for trying to split up the community?

Uwe Bonnes

Time will tell if fpga-exchange will offer new or better discussions.

There is always room for a new kid, lets see if it lasts.

hamilton

Reply to
hamilton

I get a message "Unfortunately, your browser is too old to work on this Discourse forum. Please upgrade your browser."

The IT Department here determine what browser I use, so I won't be contributing.

RCIngham

Hello RCIngham,

sorry to hear that. FPGA Exchange is built on a platform that makes heavy u se of JavaScript, so the minimum browser requirements are quite high:

- Internet Explorer 10+

- Google Chrome 24+

- Firefox 14+

- Safari 5+

As the aim is to create a discussion forum for the next decade of programma ble logic, we unfortunately cannot support older browsers.

Guy Eschemann Ingenieurbüro ESCHEMANN Am Sandfeld 17a

76149 Karlsruhe, Germany

Tel.: +49 (0) 721 170 293 89 Fax: +49 (0) 721 170 293 89 - 9

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com Follow me on Twitter: @geschema

NEW:

Guy Eschemann

of JavaScript, so the minimum browser requirements are quite high:

logic, we unfortunately cannot support older browsers.

LOL, I didn't know anyone created programmable logic with a browser. You might want to rethink your approach. There are a lot of people who don't control the computers they work on. Do you really want to exclude a significant portion of your potential audience?

BTW, I don't think you ever responded to the post that asked why you are announcing this here which would have the effect of splitting the community. This group is barely alive these days. Your site may kill it off.

--

Rick
Reply to

Hello Rick,

I'm not happy about the fact that some people can't access the forum becaus e their IT department doesn't allow modern browsers. But I guess I have to live with this limitation for now. With time, even conservative IT departme nts will have to upgrade, if only for security reasons.

This is a honest attempt at creating a friendly, vendor-independent discuss ion space where FPGA developers can share their knowledge. A bit like comp. arch.fpga was 15 years ago. People are moving away from newsgroups anyway, so I'd rather have them join FPGA Exchange than some random LinkedIn group.

Guy.

Reply to
Guy Eschemann

their IT department doesn't allow modern browsers. But I guess I have to live with this limitation for now. With time, even conservative IT departments will have to upgrade, if only for security reasons.

space where FPGA developers can share their knowledge. A bit like comp.arch.fpga was 15 years ago. People are moving away from newsgroups anyway, so I'd rather have them join FPGA Exchange than some random LinkedIn group.

Hi Guy,

I am not sure how long you have been using usenet but this forum has been a vendor/company-independent friendly (especially compared to some of the other forums I read) forum since I started to use it a few decades ago.

I agree with Rick and Uwe that there is really no need for another FPGA forum especially one which is controlled by a single person (right?).

I understand why Vendors are doing it as it increases traffic to their website and gives them a better marketing tool but FPGA Exchange seems to be somewhat decoupled from your noasic one, so I am not sure why you decided to spend the time and effort to set it up.

Anyway, good luck with your FPGA consultancy firm,

Regards, Hans

HT-Lab

their IT department doesn't allow modern browsers. But I guess I have to live with this limitation for now. With time, even conservative IT departments will have to upgrade, if only for security reasons.

I take issue at your use of the term "modern". Chrome 24 was released only 8 months ago, Internet Explorer 7 months ago, Firefox 14 a year ago.

But the site is yours to run as you see fit.

space where FPGA developers can share their knowledge. A bit like comp.arch.fpga was 15 years ago. People are moving away from newsgroups anyway, so I'd rather have them join FPGA Exchange than some random LinkedIn group.

Again, you have an interesting way of characterizing the other discussion forums. Not many here would agree with you and it is a bit offputting for you to imply the other groups that we like to be somehow unfit. I'm sure you prefer the folks use your site. I would too if I had started a web site.

--

Rick
Reply to

Rick,

Guy does not get advertising $ when people use comp.arch.fpga.

Andy

Reply to
jonesandy

Quite so. I feel that 'FPGARelated.com' adds some value, so I don't begrudge Stephane his advertising revenue.

RCIngham

Does your "modern" platform provide any control for the user to choose what content he wants or doesn't want to see? Sort of like what we've had on Usenet since the 1990s, sorting, threading, scoring...

As far as LinkedIn goes I don't think it's going to be a discussion platform. In fact, I've been surprised at the lack of discussion on LinkedIn in the various FPGA-related groups. Other than "please do my homework" and "what book / what eval kit should I buy" from extreme beginners and"please read my blog" and some job ads, it's been pretty quiet. Although I have to admit I wouldn't have known about Arrow's cheap Cyclone V SoC trainings this summer if it weren't for LinkedIn.

Reply to
Anssi Saari

I agree with you, the signal-to-noise ratio in the FPGA- and VHDL-related groups that I belong to is rather poor. I quit one group because it was all job-related and shameless self-promotion. I occasionally post to advise people against doing something obviously really wrong, but I don't expect to learn anything worthwhile in any of their groups.

RCIngham

I am in a few groups at Linkedin and I find an interesting discussion now and again. There was a rather long one on MISC and Forth, but that discussion had a poor SNR (at least from my viewpoint). There is an interesting one in one of the FPGA groups where someone is writing training materials and seems to be doing something worthwhile. I haven't figured out how he is presenting the materials though.

This group, comp.arch.fpga is not so bad, but a lot of usenet groups are pretty poor SNR too. Not that they don't have much content, but they can have *so much* noise. Actually it is more like SDR, signal to drama ratio. lol

--

Rick
Reply to

I would add that most groups, this one included, have a large body of: "I'm a GEN Y slacker. I need somebody to do my homework for me so that I can ge t back to Facebook". This sort of content drives those of us that are FPGA experts away. Forums need critical mass. This is the only FPGA-based dis cussion that comes close. Good luck to FPGA Exchange.

Reply to
mike_la_jolla