OT: HP TouchPads/EBay bids

Watching the bottom fall out of the HP TouchPad market (Best Buy and others are unloading the 16Gb models for $99), I hopped over to EBay just to watch the carnage.

There are quite a few open auctions for these already up to $250/$300. The bidders are probably desperate to get out.

Is there a method for (legitimately) backing out of an EBay auction? Without incurring any sort of penalties, that is.

Just asking. I'll be picking one up at the local fire sale if I decide to get one. If someone comes up with a Linux or Android port, that is.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati (When all else fails, play dead)
    -- Red Green
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

At the local Best Buy, there's a big sign over one section that used to say COMPUTERS.

Now it says COMPUTERS / TABLETS

Soon it will say TABLETS.

Face it, very few people need to compute. Ken Olsen turned out to be right, after all.

John

rs

ch

out

A group has been set up to port Android to the Touchpad. The project calls their version Touchdroid. See:

If the URL gets mangled try a Google search on the term Touchdroid. You better hurry if you want to buy a touchpad at a $99 price. Most outlets are sold out.

Howard

Reply to
hrh1818

HP is toast. They spun off Agilent and the semiconductor operation, and called themselves a PC company. Billions for Compac, and now they are getting out of the computer business. A billion or so to buy that new OS, whatever, down the drain. Another billion or two squandered on Itanic. Their tablet was an epic disaster.

What are they going to be, some sort of Oracle wannabee? They almost put themselves out of businness installing Oracle internally!

John

[snip]

BTW, Best Buy is out of TouchPads.

-- Paul Hovnanian mailto: snipped-for-privacy@Hovnanian.com

------------------------------------------------------------------ Error: Keyboard not attached. Press F1 to continue.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.
[snip]

I'll have to wait. Or forget about a TouchPad.

Android is pretty much the only thing I can use due to its Java support. WebOS dropped it a while back. Which killed the possibility of common TouchPad/Android support.

If the Touchdroid manages to get JVM support built for this, I might be interested. But its not worthwhile putting one of these on a shelf and hoping for the support to come along.

I have the key to happiness. But they just changed the locks.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Quit your account :-) In the end there is not much Ebay can do to make you pay. But seriously, you cancel a buy on Ebay. I've cancelled several buys because I bought too many or the seller could not deliver in time (some people put stuff on Ebay just before they go on holiday for two months).

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Nope, a printer cartridge company! That is the one continuing revenue stream, sell the printer at cost (or even below) and know that you'll sell tons of cartridges to the masses. Even with all the refillers, they are still making a killing on these things.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson