OT: Hard disk mirror with Paragon on USB stick?

[...]

[...]

The password is only used when you want to backup to a remote machine via the network, using the ssh protocol. You would also need that remote machine, with a suitable ssh server (like many linux boxes have for remote admin). This scenario is what these command line versions address:

ask for a password!

What it is doing is setting up a "pipeline" so that data goes:

ntfsclone gzip ssh client network ssh server remote file

But for it to work you have to have the remote machine setup right too (e.g. with linux, with the ssh daemon running).

But if at all possible I suggest you hook up two drives in parallel, and just copy from one to the other, since it sounds like you would find it easier to configure this. Then you would use the command line:

Of course you had better be sure which one is hdc1 and which one is hda1.

Not of this is particularly difficult if you are familiar with linux, but could be a time waster if you are not i'm afraid.

I'm not sure how well ntfsclone copes with filesystem errors. I have only used it on intact filesystems, to image a working, setup system for later recovery. There are other more basic commands which can literally "clone" a hard disk, errors and all, such as dd.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

You have no "Office Depot" stores?

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

Joel Koltner expounded in news:EDw0l.403717$ snipped-for-privacy@en-nntp-06.dc.easynews.com:

Or in some cases it simply shows up as D: , just big enough for the recovery software on it.

Reply to
Charmed Snark

Jim Thompson expounded in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

..

..

If you have the HD out of the laptop, I've also had some luck with careful but sharp raps with a hammer to the frame (not the PCB).

Use that only when you have nothing else to lose.

At least you didn't do the PhD thing: I read about some professor that decided to spray WD-40 (oil) into his laptop because the HD was making squeaking noises. Then he was surprised when the laptop failed to reboot.

Now there's that PhD education at work!

Snark.

Reply to
Charmed Snark

I went there on Tuesday. It has become an empty parking lot :-(

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

near the bottom of the page.

...Jim Thompson

Yep :-(

And that won't be the end of the saga. The lil' PC assembler across the street from a client was the other place I stopped by Tuesday night. Gone as well. There is some kind of furniture dealer in there now ...

We have large stores going out of business left and right here. Yet there are some really stupid developments going on, like a brand new gigantic mall in Folsom, close to Intel. It just does not make any sense to me at all.

Oh, and now the dems here try to skirt voter decisions again. Through some shenanigans they try to dodge the 2/3 majority rule and want to impose major tax hikes. Like a 3% source withholding from contractors (like me). That is IMHO highly illegal because you can't tax gross income if you don't know how much the guy spent on materials. I hope that stuff suffocates in the courts. Else this will drive biz out of California. Guess it's time to crack out the Places Rated book again.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Thieves can make money anywhere.

In this area there are tons of empty strip malls while others are still being built. People don't want to shop in dilapidated buildings. They want nice, bright, clean (and large) surroundings and are willing to pay for it.

VT was going to change from a property+income tax to a "gross receipts" tax, which would do exactly what you say. Such things certainly would help vertically integrated companies. Grocery stores (1% margin) wouldn't like it much. The weenies didn't get their way last time, but they never give up.

Reply to
krw

You'll see mom and pop operations fold left and right. I know business people who live off of 60% of their net income. But I do not expect politicians to understand such facts anymore. In fact, you could end up paying more tax than there is income if your margins fall below 3%. Then it would be time to move on, to a more business-friendly state.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

They *want* those evil businesses to go bankrupt. Why else would they tax productivity?

--
Keith
Reply to

Google Earth is your friend... or can be.

I do not use the web, or the yellow pages or plain google anymore when I am going somewhere. Google Earth covers everything for me.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever