OT: glass stirring rod

How does cutting back on your wine consumption change anything wrong with your colon that would make a doctor want to cut it out?

--

Rick
Reply to

Regards,

Boris Mohar

void _-void-_ in the obvious place

Boris Mohar

Acute diverticulitis... when irritated, the colon constricts... surgery was described to me as complicated as open heart surgery... I opted to avoid irritation instead. ...Jim Thompson

I'm not familiar with diverticulitis. My dad had ulcerative colitis which was what ultimately led to his death. He opted for high dosage steroid treatment which worked the first time, but the second time resulted in complications he died from.

This is one of many reasons why I don't eat much red meat anymore. I enjoy lots of vegetables. Yesterday I had a new dish I am working to perfect with pasta, tomatoes and cucumber, seasoned with turmeric and other spices, served cold. It stains any plastic terribly, but tastes great, especially in this hot weather. I can't find gazpacho soup anywhere! That will be next.

--

Rick
Reply to

Diverticulitis is similar. Both my mother and my father died "by doctor" :-(

Red meat isn't the culprit... it's food additives plus chemical remnants from tobacco and alcohol... I smoked a pipe for 36 years, quit in 1994, but the tars had already done their deed.

My wife makes a wonderful Gazpacho! She was kidding around with one of my employees, telling him that if he wanted some of her Gazpacho he'd need a prescription from his doctor. One day he shows up with the prescription... seriously ;-)

'ONI'S GAZPACHO

Place all ingredients in a large bowl and mix:

1 lg. can V-8 juice 1 lg. can tomato juice 6 Tbs olive oil 4 Tbs red wine vinegar 1 tsp salt 1 tsp sugar 1 hydroponic cucumber (chopped) 1 med. to lg. onion (chopped fine) 1 green pepper (chopped) (1/3,1/3,1/3, green/red/yellow)

2 Tbs cilantro (chopped) (or use dried)

1/4 tsp pepper 1 Tbs Worcestershire sauce 1 lg. ripe avocado (chopped) 1 lg. can black olives (sliced) 1 lg. or 2 sm. tomatoes (chopped) ~ 1 Tbs chili powder (adjust to taste) 1 or 2 dashes Mexi-pep Louisiana hot sauce 1 tsp cumin seed (ground) thyme oregano Juice of 1/2 lime

Sprinkle salad herbs over the top, mix well, cover and refrigerate overnight, before serving. ...Jim Thompson

I don't know what is implied in "by doctor". My dad's doctor gave him the choices, surgery or steroids. The first time the steroids worked ok and he was fine for some years. The second time the treatment was a higher dose and lasted a lot longer. He had reached the point where they were going to start the tapering down of the dosage when he caught a bug that he couldn't fight because of his weakened immune system. I have no reason to blame the doctor. I have no doubt the doctor warned him of the possibilities, and I am no fan of the medical community. Dad didn't want to deal with the possibility of having a colostomy bag indefinitely even though that was not the likely outcome.

You can choose your poisons as you wish. There is no shortage of evidence that red meat consumption adversely affects colon health and eating more vegetables improves it.

I'm curious. Why did you smoke for so long? What thoughts were in your mind that allowed you to smoke when you knew it was bad for you?

Dang, that's the sort of weather that makes me want a nice tall glass of hot gravy!

How large is a "lg can of V-8" or tomato juice? I'm going out in a bit and I'll pick up the things I don't have.

--

Rick
Reply to

Like there was no shortage of evidence that butter was bad for you and you should use margarine ?>:-}

I enjoyed my pipe... but I quit cold turkey (I have absolute will-power) because we had just built the Cathedral Rock house and SWMBO decreed no smoking inside, at the same time that every company I worked with decreed smoking outside only... ain't very enjoyable in the Arizona sun ;-)

(I'm 75... how old are you ?:-)

Had some biscuits and gravy just a few weeks ago ;-)

That's the "standard" large can that vegetable juices come in (actually it's a somewhat loose recipe... IIRC she uses two tomato + 1 V-8)... probably a couple of quarts each can. 'Oni (because the neighbor kids couldn't say Naomi) makes it up in a huge punch bowl. Then "cans" it in quarts for friends. ...Jim Thompson

Heart surgery certainly isn't something to do for fun but they have it down to a pretty routine science, these days. We've had two in the family in the last nine months, one at age 62 and one at 2 (days).

Reply to
krw

So why do you believe alcohol is bad for you? If some bad science imputes all science, why do you believe some and not the rest?

How long ago was that? I have heard that it takes some years for a smoker's risk of cancer to drop back to the level of a non-smoker. But I have also heard it never recovers that much. My uncle smoked for many years and died of lung cancer some 6 or 7 years after quitting.

I never understood how people smoke at all much less why they don't quit later in life when we become more mortal.

Old enough to not want to smoke, 61.

That's a saying I picked up from some Kentucky friends some years ago. That and "If we had some bacon, we could have bacon and eggs, if we had some eggs."

I had to run a cat rescue tonight for a friend who is stuck in Orlando overnight due to bad weather. I hit the store but didn't have the list to get all the ingredients. I'll try again tomorrow. I think I'll scale the recipe back a bit for my first go. The pepper won't be in there at all. Not my thing. :P I'll use extra cilantro though.

--

Rick
Reply to