OT: Fun with crossword dictionary search

[crossposted rec.puzzles,rec.puzzles.crosswords,sci.electronics.design, if you don't like being on the crosspost, please omit your group on your followups-to. Thanks.]

No puzzle here, just a sorta cute thing I noticed on yesterday's (Fri,10/26/07) NY Times XW was clue 38-A: "Starry-eyed". The only thing I could think of was "neurotic", which not only didn't fit lexically, but the definition is a little iffy. So, I do:

richgrise@heartwood:/usr/share/dict $ egrep "^....otic$" words despotic hypnotic narcotic neurotic quixotic richgrise@heartwood:/usr/share/dict $

and Yikes! Any _one_ of these could be construed as "Starry-eyed". (well, I can eliminate despotic and hypnotic because no word starts "BS..." or "BP...". ;-)

Just thought that was interesting, and another reason why so many people love the NY Times puzzle. :-)

BTW, if I want to cheat, is there anyplace on-line to get "yesterday's answers", or do I have to go all the way down to the corner store in the rain to buy a copy of the paper? ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Maybe your dictionary isn't big enough:

acidotic amblotic ameiotic amitotic amniotic anerotic araeotic chemotic cmitotic cresotic cyanotic despotic diazotic dichotic dicrotic diprotic ectrotic enzootic epidotic Epirotic epulotic euphotic fibrotic helcotic hidrotic homeotic hydrotic hypnotic kairotic kyphotic leprotic leucotic leukotic lordotic Mareotic narcotic necrotic Negrotic neurotic onirotic orthotic periotic phimotic plerotic postotic pro-otic psilotic pterotic pycnotic pyknotic quixotic rhigotic rhizotic sarcotic semiotic stenotic thymotic unerotic unexotic zealotic zoonotic

Reply to
mensanator

[....]

That *definitely* doesn't fit the hint, does it?

[Jw]
Reply to
[Jongware]