handheld dictionary help

You may want to consider looking at Microchip PICS. They are friendly, easy to use, simple microcontrollers with relatively inexpensive development tools. On top of all of this, you will need access to tools, such as an oscilloscope and a logic analyzer, probably as a minimum.

Aside from the microcontroller, to design a system as complex as you describe will require a broad understanding of both analog and digital electronics. Obviously this is no simple task. I would recommend that you start with a book on electronic projects, geared towards your present skill level, and work up from there.

Reply to
Noway2

I would like to build an embedded system, I have limited experience with an hc11 microcontroller, but I have good c,c++,java,assembly skills. I would like to build a hand held electronic dictionary. I want an lcd screen(2-3 lines) connected to thin "flimsy" keypad, total size of the system approximately 4"x6",and it can be run by battery or possibly solar.. and I would like to mass produce these for as cheap as possible(under 5 dollars?). That is the final goal. What I need is guidance as to starting this project. As of right now I have nothing. I do not know what hardware to buy, where to buy it, and how to set it up to begin programming on it. I need advice to help get the ball rolling. any comments or suggestions would be awesome.. I have a breadboard, would like to buy the minimum amount of hardware necessary, set it up and program it on breadboard, then from there convert it into final project. Since this will be acting as a dictionary, I may have up to

5000 words stored or more...
Reply to
shmitnols

Start out with one of these:

*-microprocessor-trainer+*-bucks+*-AVR-butterfly+3v3-supply

*-C-compiler-is-free+*-GCC+*-*-*-PIC-*-*-programmed-in-assembler-*-because-the-assembler-is-free+*-don't-need-*-special-programmers+*-AVR-*-*-programmed-in-C+PIC-assembler-*-*-*-easy-to-learn+AVR-assembler-*-*-*-*-*-involved

Reply to
JeffM