OT - Existance of a Magnetic Monopole

Can you describe what the field would look like from an electron?

In the nearest mass of opposite charges, or at infinity. It doesn't matter: superposition applies, as it always does in linear E&M. Meh, go look in your physics textbook for curves -- mentally replace E with H and D with B. It's not hard Mike :)

Same way you made one in the first place, of course!

Assuming a MM is an elementary particle of some sort, it would occur as the result of myriad interactions in a high energy collision. The most likely interaction producing it would be a high energy weak interaction. By parity, you'd be equally likely to find positive and negative charges, which would most likely be antiparticles (analogous to electrons and positrons, and as such, rather unstable around each other!).

The evidence would be very distinctive in a particle accelerator, because they would be accelerated by the field lines of the superconducting magnets used. Even if the particles aren't themselves visible (for instance, electrically neutral particles don't leave tracks in a bubble chamber), their likely decay products will.

Then in that case, I think the nature of an electric field prohibits the electron. The field lines pass through the source (e.g., a dipole such as a battery), and wrap around so they are continuous. There is no starting and ending point, just like electromagnetic fields. If you cannot have a definite stating and ending point, you cannot have positive or negative electric poles. If you cannot have separate poles, you cannot have an electron.

Have I made things clear yet? :)

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

Electric field lines do not pass through the source. The electric field starts at the positive object and terminates on the negative object.

Here is an example:

Fig. A shows the field eminating from a positive charge.

Fig. B shows the field terminating on a plate. They do not pass through, and there is no wrap around.

"

"

Since your interpretation of electrostatic fields is in error, it is obvious your belief in the existence of MM is without logical foundation.

Since you cannot provide a logical description for the fields in a MM, I conclude there is little reason to waste time pursuing the concept.

Regards,

Mike

Reply to
Mike

^ ^ ^ ^

Are you that dense, Mikey? I specified the conditions, you ignored my statement. Moreover, you obviously do not grasp the concept of reductio ad absurdum.

As pennance, please study Maxwell's equations in detail. You must work one problem: demonstrate the electric and magnetic field in the parallel plate transmission line (wide, thin approximation), and derive the telegrapher's equation. Show all work.

Have a nice day.

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

through the source (e.g., a dipole such as a

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

o ad

one

Googleing "Magnetic Monopole Electric Dipole Moment" I found this.

Nice of him to do the calculation.

(I couldn't make much of it except for the beginning bits, and g sub m =3D 2)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold