OT: Electrical Outlet Alignment?

Oops. I forgot about that. In my area, mostly hills, we build with raised floors mostly made from tongue and groove plywood. Concentrated loads, like your bookshelves, can be a problem with such floors. As you were...

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

I like that one.. less than $1 and a few seconds on the drill press.

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

I like it.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Welcome to sci.electronics.design.home-improvement

That works for drywall but not so well after the drywall is up, and the flooring and carpeting are installed. Unless you installed your outlets at an angle (I've seen it done on stairs), one sharp screw or stud is sufficient for locating an outlet. When I was doing low voltage (network) wiring, I had a few 6-32 threaded rods with points at both ends and a nut glued in the middle. Just screw them into either the two mounting plate screw holes, or possibly a single screw into the outlet center screw. The cutout outline is then traced with an outlet box template.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

That results in a rather sloppy location. However, I've seen that done with a metal wall plate and a stud finder. The stud finder will easily locate the edge of a steel wall plate through wood or pressboard bookshelf backing. However, it does take some testing and practice.

Next question will probably be how to deal with the baseboard trim. Hopefully, the shelving will have baseboard clearance built in. At

94in high, with 2in total clearance to an 8ft ceiling, there may also be a similar problem at the ceiling. We'll also soon see if 2in total clearance is sufficient, or if the carpet padding and carpeting have conspired to reduce this. Of course, all this assumes that the ceiling really is 8.0ft (96in) high. Since this is a custom home, it's likely that the walls and floor are square (90 degrees) and not warped. Eventually, there will be a question involving what to do with the 1 to 2in gap between the top of the bookshelf and the ceiling which will collect dust and is difficult to clean.

Stay tuned to this thread for the next thrilling installment of Jim versus the monster bookshelf.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Plus all those earth-quake "proof" piers >:-} ...Jim Thompson

Putting a laser level on a tripod facilitates this quite easily. Yer basic in-home surveying gear. Mark the spot, and place a nice hole cut-out template over it with a small center hole for placement.

Getting a tripod that stoops that low with the laser level on top of it may be harder to do. One could use a tall tripod, and hang the laser level from the non-extended center stick. hanging through it.

A very good idea, actually.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

His suggestion is pretty stupid. In between his ears is a senseless wand of stupidity.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

It's called a tape measure, and it's a fairly basic task.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

That thing has to be a joke.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Whatazamatta Cranky Bastard? Didn't get any nookie last night ?>:-} ...Jim Thompson

Still clamoring to fit in, eh dumbshit?

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

If you have access to a FLIR like I do, actually I own one, you can spot the box area and mark it on the panel.

Thermo offsets in material really show well.

Jamie

Reply to
M Philbrook

Yes.

9' ceilings. Room to serve as a "memorabilia" shelf.

You need to keep up with the thread... TILE floors.

Aligning outlets was my only issue... I've already done three walls (that didn't have outlet issues). ...Jim Thompson

snip

Right.

I have a half million dollar engineering lab in my basement I am developing for the gov boys in.

I am most certainly NOT 'jealous' of Jim Thompson and his alcohol dumbed down lifestyle.

Working with a $40k Matlab magnetics package and a $40k Genesis magnetic package on a high end i7 kinda trumps his boolshelf(s) in need of power outlet access and his lackluster life, where he needs to ask *in here* what the hottest CPU is, which he is then too much of a pussy to fork out the cash for and too stupid to build a truly hot machine of his own with.

That is all the status I need.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Hahahaha... Just like I said. Status boy bragging.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

You mean to say you live on the roof in one of the service rooms that just happens to be over the location where all this fancy equipment is.

It's real nice of them to allow the janitor/guard to live at the job.

Jamie

Reply to
M Philbrook

I'm delighted that I'm getting under DecadentLoser's skin... almost as much fun as taunting our resident narcissist >:-} ...Jim Thompson

9' ceilings aren't uncommon, AlwaysWrong. Jim just stated a relevant fact.
Reply to
krw

9' ceilings are rare in old refrigerator boxes, like the one Dimmie lives in.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell