OT Dropbox sucking up internet bandwidth?

Ever get the feeling that you might be reinventing the wheel? Do the unspecified model laptops have USB 3.0 ports or ExpressCard slots? If so, there are gigabit ethernet dongles and cards that will fit:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

or oc12) and stations with single 1G port. The problem is with the laptops with 0.1G RJ45, but they all have internal PCIe. We just need to somehow bring out the PCIe, then 1G network interface. An external PCIe connector would fit nicely in the existing VGA cutout. We might even get rid of the USBs and RJ45 connectors. One PCIe connector is good enough.

No, they don't. Only internal PCIe.

We can have an external cable sticking out of the bottom of the laptop, but would be better with a connector on the side.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

:

You realize, Jeff (I hope), that I was not singling you or anyone else out. Engineers that truly know IT are worth their weight in gold.

But if I had a nickel for every BS comment that some guy in Corp IT told me about what could and/or couldn't be done, etc..., I'd be fully retired by now. :)

For example, "You're sending too many megabytes to the server and the 'ting is going to blow." It's remotely funny if you say that with a HEAVY India n accent. But probably only once, and then you'd rather just get your work done and wish the IT people would go bother someone else.

Reply to
mpm

That's odd. I've been working with PC laptops since the Compaq luggable. As I recall, most every laptop that ran XP also had either a PCMCIA, CardBus, or ExpressCard slot. When PCIe arrived, the CardBus slot morphed into an ExpressCard slot, which as PCIe on the "long" part of the stepped connector. I suggest you take a step backwards and take inventory of what you have.

Also, I find it odd that you would time and money into an XP laptop. I will admit to having problems (mostly printing) with ancient dBaseIII and Clipper software running on Win 7 and Win 8. Many years ago, I stupidly took on a charity client that had a home made FoxPlus (not FoxPro) program running the business. The programmer died and probably was buried with the source code, making changes difficult. I managed to get them to work under DOSbox on Windoze 7 Pro. See: or better, I suggest: However, that requires a Windoze OS install, with all the overhead and bloat. For old DOS and Windoze programs, I've done better with a Chromebook, running Ubuntu Linux, with the DOS or Windoze program running under WINE. It's especially good if you only need to run one old program. Approximate price is $150 to $400 for a Chromebook. The rest is free.

I don't know how much time and money you are prepared to put into an R&D and PCB design project just to keep some old laptops afloat, but methinks you would do better using modern hardware, which methinks will be quicker and cheaper in both the short and long run.

Incidentally, Acer C720 Chromebook running Ubuntu 12.04 (yeah, I know it's time to update) is slowly becoming my most used computing device. I'm also running LtSpice under WINE with good results.

Methinks I need an anti-acid pill. I have this sinking feeling in my stomach just thinking about a laptop with a built in umbilical.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

No problem. I'm accustomed to being the scapegoat, designated culprit, sacrificial victim, and professional target. I don't mind as long as I am paid. Hmmm... you're not paying me, so please be more diplomatic.

I look at it differently. There are people that work best with people. There are others that work best with things. It's a rare day when one finds someone that is good with both. The problem with IT is that it's one of the job descriptions that require both people and thing skills, which may explain why really good IT people are difficult to find (and keep).

Incidentally, I'm quite good with things, and a disaster when dealing with people. The basic problem is that I tell people what they don't want to hear.

I retired in 1983. I just didn't realize it at the time.

Permit me to explain. It's not really BS. IT and support people are asked to explain or do things that are incomprehensible, illogical, and sometimes rediculous. No matter the problem to be solved, IT people are expected to have the answers, explanations, and solutions available instantly. "I don't know" is not an acceptable response. If I were caught reading the manual, everyone would immediately assume that I'm incompetent. "Have you done this before"? is a common question. So, reading the manual, searching the web, and calling support are all signs of weakness that must be avoided at all cost. Therefore, IT people are forced to say something, or rather anything that will placate the irate user, even if it's total baloney. Since the user has no clue what the IT person is talking about, and has no idea what to do with the information, almost any manner of oral manure will suffice (except profanity). Long ago, I tried to be truthful and honest when faced with the unknown. That lasted about a week before I reverted back to BS and technobabble.

These are my horror stories from 1982 to 1993. I wrote that for Wired Magazine which may have printed it somewhere. Now, do you really think that anyone in IT can work with users like these and not resort to BS?