OT: "Domain Services"

Beware of e-mail "bills" from companies like "Domain Services" mentioning FINAL NOTICE OF DOMAIN LISTING.

They *always* quote a deadline date of about one year earlier than the true date. This crap has been going on for (at least) the past ten years.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Don't you know who your domain registrar is? And how to filter E-mails?

The only "new" crap/gimmick one I'm seeing this year is...

"Unfortunately the delivery of your order COS-0097020690 was cancelled since the specified address of the recipient was not correct. You are recommended to complete this form and send it back with your reply to us."

So into trash it automatically goes. ...Jim Thompson

This time of year I get mysterious messages all the time, nothing to worry about as long as those messages aren't coming from your head, instead of the screen! :)

Jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

  • I do. I posted that info derived from a spam-mail in one of my e-mail spam boxes. This was an FYI posting, for reminder purposes.
Reply to
Robert Baer

Isn't the tinfoil hat supposed to filter that stuff?

Reply to
Robert Baer

Funny you should mention that, I recently came across an article about using microwaves i think it was and for many people, it makes the auditorial center actually appear to receive sounds, so with that I guess it would be easy to make one thing they're hearing voices in their head!

Jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

You can complain to ICANN because they've likely violated their rules against misrepresentation. They'll lose their ability to be a registrar.

Reply to
Kevin McMurtrie

They're probably not registrars, they're just looking to fake bill you... you pay... they disappear... and you get the real bill when it's due.

Lots of fake billing going on this time of year. I suspect the game is that accounts payable departments often pay invoices without careful matching to PO's.

As for my domain registrations, I have auto-renewal setup. ...Jim Thompson

The ones that I've seen are for a real registrars. Offering real services at grossly inflated costs allows them to bill you many times rather than just once. One tricked customer pays out big.

The problem is that the FTC and ICANN don't get complaints early enough to investigate. DROA and LNOA have been busted in multiple countries but continue to operate by slightly morphing into new entities.

Even if it's a fake registrar, they probably have a real web site with a domain name that takes payments. Any domain under ICANN (org, com, net, etc.) with false registration information is easy to kill.

It should also be noted that Endurance International Group has purchased most of the independent registrars, therefore becoming managers of those domains and existing DNS services for them. They will fraudulently reconfigure your DNS with new subdomains for selling advertisements. One day I noticed that smtp.pixelmemory.us stopped working. EIG had purchased my registrar and DNS provider then started selling ads on subdomains smtp, pop, ftp, imap, email, and webmail of my domain.

Reply to
Kevin McMurtrie

This business will be ignored by ICANN.

Once i had two domains STOLEN by a registration outfit that promptly locked it,making it impossible to get back. The thief wanted a pile of documents FAXed to some place in Europe along with FEES (a few hundred dollars or so) in advance to get them back.

I complained like all hell to the original registrar, to ICANN, the president of ICANN, and to anyone and everyone that had theoretical authority. Nobody even had the decency to answer back. Somehow, at least one of the complaints drifted to a registry agency in China. And that they somehow got them unlocked and told me to act immediately as that condition may not last over 72 hours at most. No charges, no flim-flam; LOTS of apologies with explaination that the thief registration agency was well known to do that junk.

Reply to
Robert Baer

And as far as i know, you have absolutely no recourse.

Reply to
Robert Baer

What is the name of this scum bag registar ?

Reply to
hamilton

that sounds really odd, you're supposed to need a special code (with some four letter acronym) so transfer a domain between registrars.

Perhaps they compromised your account somehow.

--
For a good time: install ntp

Jasen Betts

That was so long ago that i do not remember. Sorry.

Reply to
Robert Baer