OT: Domain hosting / email mirrors

Gents,

My domain hosting outfit (Namesecure) is going to the dogs. Their mail mirror now takes as long as 4 hours to forward emails, and this has been getting worse for weeks.

Who are the good ones?

Thanks,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Phil, There are plenty of free email providers. I'm using gmx amongst others. At

Rene

Rene Tschaggelar

Rene,

Thanks. I have a couple of free email accounts too. What I'm looking for is a new mail mirror, which allows me to keep the same mail addresses (various IDs at pergamos dot net and electrooptical dot net) when I change the actual underlying email provider, and a new domain host, which does the same thing for my web pages.

Think of it as being like indirect vs hard-coded addressing.

I've used namesecure for about 9 years now, but they're not as good as they used to be, by a lot.

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I switched my E-mail forwarding to GoDaddy about a month ago, when Cox f***ed up their authentication method, forcing you into Outhouse Excuse... "Please be advised that we can only provide support and assistance with Outlook Express, due to licensing agreements."

I have around 200 E-mail "personas" ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Phil, I can host your web and email. See:

Take care,

-Chris

--
| Christopher Cole, Cole Design and Development               cole@coledd.com |
| Embedded Electronics and Software Design                  http://coledd.com |

Hello Phil,

This is the one I use since day one of my web site. Email can be accessed directly with a newsreader (might need the backdoor port since some ISP's like mine don't like competition), it can be auto-forwarded to an address you select or you can access via a web browser (very handy when on the road). Or several of the above at the same time. Very nice.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Here in the UK I use 1&1. Cost just under £4 for two years and - touch wood - have had no problems with them so far.

If it\'s not broken, don\'t fix it.
Reply to
TuT

I use the IEEE alias service, which works for me. It is free, but you have to pay your IEEE dues first... 8-)

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Edmondson

I like to have at least one domain with really simple-minded forwarding, where all addresses at that domain wind up in one email account. That way, when I deal with someone who insists on my giving an email address, I give them one of the form " snipped-for-privacy@mytrashdomain.foo". It all winds up in the same bucket, but I can instantly tell who's sold my email address. I gather that's what Jim T. does too.

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Hello Phil,

I use that as well. Nice service.

Most hosting companies can do that. With mine (1&1) all you'd have to do is register another domain if you don't want to use your main one. Then you enter the same forwarding address to all the email addresses you want to land in the common bucket. That's what I do and I can always see to which one of my email names it had been sent. But I only have one special address I give out to "not so trusted" entities, not 200 like Jim.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Yep. Every client or vendor gets their own "personalized" address, so I know who sold it.

Interestingly selling has only happened once, and it was an Amazon "associate" who did it. But then I kicked ass and it's never happened again.

But I often turn off others as soon as the registration process is complete, to stop their sales pitches.

For those I must communicate with, I have 50 "personalities" in Eudora, so my replies match what they sent to ;-)

There are more than 200 in-bound... for instance, the power company can send me a receipt, but I never need to reply.

...Jim Thompson

Gmail

--
Dirk

http://www.onetribe.me.uk/wordpress - The UK\'s only occult talk show
Presented by Dirk Bruere and Marc Power on ResonanceFM
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

domainpanel.com is cheap and reliable.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Those ads it puts beside your mail are almost scary in how targetted they are.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

I am almost hesitant to share this being afraid of the service I get will deteriorate because of overcrowding, but assuming this is a relatively small community, here I go. Two years ago I hosted my domain & site using

, and their services not only were good then, but seem to improve constantly. Lastly, a few days ago, I discovered they had given me an option to specify an IP address for each subdomain I define so their nameserver will point to it. They have mail forwarding since day one, and unlimited email addresses. And many other things. The only surprise to me was the fact they turned out to be a Bulgarian company - although their servers are located in LA and Hong Kong. I discovered this when I had to pay for the second year and was offered the chance to visit their office in Sofia and pay cash - which I actually did then. I located them via the targeted google ads - those in the right column

- so chances are google have targeted me back then not only based on what I was searching (web hosting something), but also geographic location. Whatever, I have been getting really good value for my money ($65 the first year, $45 each subsequent).

Dimiter

Phil Hobbs wrote:

Reply to
Didi

I don't exactly know why I looked, but I was examining my index file on one of my websites hosted by Ipower. There was all kinds trash drug and spam related sites and names, which is not visable using the browser. I don't know how it got there, but I just edited it out. I did have some problems with available space, and could not get an answer from anybody. I got more space now, 10 GB

greg

Reply to
GregS

Well now they must have just changed the things you get with startups. Now its 50 GB for the price I'm paying, about $8 a month. Now they have one plan for $4.

greg

Reply to
GregS

What ads? I never look at anything apart from the mail. Just checked - you are right! Never noticed before:-)