OT: Dell printer cartridges

Ladies and Gents,

There is a Dell 922 inkjet printer/scanner all-in-one thingy in the lab that is over a year old now and gets little use. Maybe 20 color pages (mostly text) and 50 B/W pages. Now it shows that the color cartridge is almost empty. The B/W still runs but with deplorable quality, it's never been that good anyway but B/W gets printed on the laser next door. So let's see, that would come to around $1.50 per color page. Ouch!

Is this normal? Do they have some kind of sales timer built in that lets them expire? I did not find much about that on the web.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

A year old, that your tithing.

:-)

Reply to
Donald

Hi Jörg,

here in germany it is totally normal, that a new ink-printer is delivered with a nearly empty cardridge. The orginal is only for demonstration purpose. You have to buy a new one. So the Cost for nwe devices sounds less than real. Wellcome to capitalism.

Marte

Reply to
Marte Schwarz

I think I have you beat. I bought a Xerox inkjet a couple years ago for $105 and printed exactlly 5 pages on it and did not use it for a while. Cartridges were all dry, so a bit over $20/page

Reply to
seymour-shabow

Hello Marte,

Capitalism is fine with me, else I wouldn't live in the US. But this stuff borders on the unethical. HP did not do that in the olden days.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Hello Seymour,

To me that either sounds like less than ethical business practice or flawed technology. They should not dry out. Sure, my old HP stuttered a few times when it wasn't used for a couple months. But a swift wipe with a damp cloth across the print nozzle assembly always brought it back.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Flog it on eBay, then go out and buy a Canon Pixma IP4000 or IP5000!

Those are network printers. They look after themselves - i.e. they will not dry out because the computer they were connected to is shut down unexpectedly - and they come with fully loaded cartridges too!

Reply to
Frithiof Andreas Jensen