OT: Ctrl+wheel stopped zooming in Foxit Reader

I posted this in two computer forums but didn't receive any helpful reply. Does anyone have any idea?

The scroll wheel on my mouse no longer worked in my old CAD program in Windows 7 (it worked with earlier OSes), so I installed KatMouse and it worked. But zooming with Ctrl+Wheel stopped working in Foxit Reader, so I placed Foxit Reader in the KatMouse ignore list. After that everything worked fine for about a year but then this happened last month ......

I uninstalled KatMouse because I mistakenly thought it might be responsible for a small problem I had a month ago. It turned out that KatMouse had nothing to do with it, so I reinstalled it. But now Ctrl+Wheel refuses to zoom in Foxit Reader. It still works in MS Word and browsers.

I uninstalled and re-installed KatMouse and Foxit Reader several times. I tried different versions of Foxit Reader. But it hasn't made any difference.

Reply to
Pimpom

Order of installation may matter.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

I'm using Windoze 7 on this machine, but have PDF-Xchange 8.0.336 installed, not Foxit. I don't want to install Foxit to see what might be wrong. So, the best I can do is guess(tm). Try these:

  1. Uninstall Foxit and try PDF-Xchange editor (free) instead. That won't fix the problem, but if PDF-Xchange editor now works as expected, this would assign the blame to Foxit.
  2. In PDF-Xchange editor, zooms correctly on my Win 7 machine. It also zooms correctly in Office 2003, Chrome, Firefox, Edge, etc. I'm using a Dell cheapo USB mouse using whatever driver came with Win 7.
  3. KatMouse would be my prime suspect. Last update was Feb 2014 which includes "Better Windows 7 compatibility" and "Wheel settings are restored when other software interferes" which makes me suspicious. Try removing KatMouse, wiping its settings from the registry, test the scroll wheel, and if everything works, try a fresh install. Try Revo Uninstaller Free for a complete uninstall (including settings). Or, just try a different "mouse wheel enhancer".
--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

I'd already tried removing KatMouse and cleaning the registry with CCleaner. Tried it several times in fact. I just tried Revo as suggested but it makes no difference.

To recap:

  1. My scroll wheel no longer works in my CAD program in Win 7.
  2. KatMouse makes it work but disables Ctrl+Wheel zooming in Foxit Reader.
  3. Placing Foxit Reader in KatMouse ignore list restored zooming for Foxit Reader.
  4. Everything worked fine for a year.
  5. I uninstalled and reinstalled KatMouse last month. Since then zooming with Ctrl+wheel stopped working in Foxit Reader even if it's in KatMouse ignore list.
  6. Zooming still works with other programs.
  7. Zooming still works with Foxit Reader if KatMouse is disabled or uninstalled.

It's obvious that KatMouse is interfering with zooming in Foxit Reader. What's puzzling (and frustrating) is that it worked perfectly before.

The next step is to try another PDF reader as you suggested. I'll report back.

Reply to
Pimpom

I removed Foxit Reader and installed PDF-Xchange Editor. Ctrl+wheel zoom still didn't work if KatMouse is active.

Removed KatMouse and installed WizMouse. The combination of PDF-Xchange and WizMouse worked.

I often use Foxit Reader as a virtual printer to convert other formats to PDF. PDF-Xchange Editor does that too but I find the huge 'buy now' buttons intrusive.

So I removed it and installed Foxit Reader. The combination of FR with WizMouse still works. Thanks for your help.

Now if only Ctrl+wheel zooming worked in my CAD program too...... I'm not 100% sure if it worked before the problem with the FR + KatMouse combination, but I'm fairly certain it did. It was only a month ago but, for the life of me, I just can't be absolutely sure it did.

Reply to
Pimpom

I'm confused. I thought that was the reason for using KatMouse and WizMouse to make the scroll wheel work with the CAD program??? Otherwise, why are you using these mouse programs?

--

  Rick C.

  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Ricketty C

Therefore, the problem is mostly likely KatMouse, which as I mention, seems rather old and may not support Win 7.

Again, the finger of guilt points to KatMouse.

So, buy the program. $43.50 per computah. The price list says per user, but it's really per computer. The 1 "user" package includes a 2nd license for a laptop or tablet. We extend our end user licensing to allow 1 desktop installation and one installation on a secondary device (ie. laptop or Windows based Tablet, etc) At my current billing rate, that's about 30 minutes of my labor. (No, I don't receive a commission from the company).

Grumble, so you're back to using Foxit. So much for my sales pitch.

The plot thickens. Perhaps you might disclose the name and version of your "old CAD program"? If it's really really old, my uninformed guess(tm) is that it has video, mouse, tablet, and other I/O drivers built into the program which bypass the Windoze drivers. That's been generally considered to be a really bad idea for the past 20 odd years, but old habits die hard, and there may have been some surviving Neanderthals in the CAD business.

However, if your failing memory and my uninformed guess(tm) are correct and zoom did work in the CAD program at one time, that suggests an order of installation problem, where interrupt redirection, events, and the entry point for the mouse enhancer determine which programs will function. Try this online mouse debugger and see what happens to the mouse wheel when the CAD and/or MouseWiz programs are running.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Ideally, the mouse wheel should work for scrolling by itself

*and* for zooming in combination with the Ctrl key. Both KatMouse and WizMouse enable the first requirement but not the second.
Reply to
Pimpom
1) enter about:config in the address field 2) check warning .. proceed 3) search MOUSE 4) look for clues.
Reply to
Anthony Stewart

Oops Foxit err ehm not firefox.

Disregard.

I highly recommend SUMATRA.EXE it also reads epub books from torrents and is faster and tab based. x32 or x64

But to uninstall fully use REVO uninstall and DELETE all files and REG settngs found.

Reply to
Anthony Stewart

d is faster and tab based.

ttngs found.

Sumatra is a good program, but it is not without it's limitations. The big one is they have no interest in continuing to support it. For example a f ew users have been asking for years to provide a double click and drag to s elect multiple words the way many, many programs support. It falls on deaf ears there and the developer has said he isn't interested in adding featur es.

So Sumatra is what it is and won't be getting improvements or fixes any tim e soon. That may be a good thing, or it may be a bad thing depending on ho w you look at it. I know many programs die of neglect when they aren't mai ntained with current needs.

At least it works better than the piece of crap that comes with Firefox. T hat thing has actually been getting worse lately. The cursor keys used to do specific defined actions, but now they work very oddly I think because t he move a text cursor rather than the document as a whole. I used to use t he right and left arrow key to move to the top of the next or prior page. Up and down arrow used to move the page a small amount. Now they take you to whatever spot in the document you last clicked on. You could be on page 77 of 101 and hit the down arrow key to see the next line on the page and you are suddenly reading the title page or the table of contents or an item you had selected for copying 10 minutes ago.