[OT] Costa Concordia

The last thread descended close to Godwin territory but there was enough initial interest that I though this link might be illuminating to the folks here.

The video shows a reconstruction of the ship's track based on AIS data (Wiki it). BTW, there's a thumping sound in the background of the video's soundtrack. I'm guessing it's a dog and a hardwood floor?

The link at the bottom of the page leads to another reconstruction as well as one from the ship's passage through the same waters back in August of last year. No accompanying commentary, though.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

Looks like the kind of data that gets people convicted of manslaughter...

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

Well, if this analysis is correct, the "captain" is lucky he still had his bow thursters. Otherwise, the ship could have capsized in deep water, causing an environmental disaster and probably more deaths.

I use captain in quotations because as far as I'm concerned, this a- hole doesn't deserve the rank. I actually read that he claims the cruise line instructed him to make the "salute". So, I guess if they told him to jump off a bridge, that would be his defense too.

I don't even know what an appropriate punishment should be for this idiot....

Reply to
mpm

And, where the heck was the rest of the bridge team while this was going on? Steaming at 16 kts directly towards a rocky coast and nobody is yelling "Turn this pig NOW!" ? Sheesh...

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

I'm pretty sure it will turn out he and that woman were left alone in the bridge doing "their business".

Reply to
asdf