OT convention of tolerance limits

Not an electronics question but after some time googling I have got nowhere.

question:

In a (mechanical) drawing, if a linear dimension is not given a specific tolerance what is the convention for the tolerance - as say under the old BS

380. I think it was that if the number was written as (say) 34 then the tolerance is +/-1, if the number was written as34.0 it is +/- 0.25, and if it is written 34.00 the tolerance is 0.015 or something like. Does anyone know for sure ?

Thanks in advance

Reply to
RHRRC

If you are talking inches, iirc, the BS drawing standards specified +/-

0.025", where tolerances are not specified at all, and 0.010", 0.005" was common for everything else. If you are down to 001", then it's a precision ground item usually, as it's difficult to hand turn to that accuracy in production. Modern cnc auto's might be able to do it though...

Regards,

Chris

Reply to
ChrisQ

BS

nce

Reminds me of the tiny Stonehenge in Spinal Tap :-)

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

=20

old BS=20

tolerance=20

Canonically it is +/- 1 in the least significant digit. thus:=20

43000 gets +/- 1000 380 gets +/- 10 34 gets +/- 1 18.0 gets +/- 0.1 and=20 50.00 or 54.13 gets +/- 0.01

=46rom high school science 'bout 40 years ago.

Reply to
JosephKK