OT: Combined Electrical and Coax Outlet

Trying to avoid cutting another hole in the house walls...

Does anyone make a COMBINED electrical AND coax (type-F) outlet?

...Jim Thompson

Sno-o-o-o-ort ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Could be ;-)

Surfing I've found a plastic box with a partition rated for a low voltage device plus an AC device... box, but no components.

I may just have to bite the bullet and cut another hole, but it's an outside wall... thick stucco, not fun, or easy to be neat, to chisel out :-(

...Jim Thompson

I really doubt it, NEC frowns upon signaling wires being grouped with power wires in a receptical box. They like to see the two run at least 1 foot apart in walls.

-Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Harris

Jim, AFAIK most electrical codes frown on putting commercial power & low voltage lines (i.e. phone, cable, intercom etc.) in the same box, at least if they're not fed from the same source. I'm guessing there's a good reason for this-

That aside if the power common or ground make contact with the cable sheath you may end up with some killer hum bars running through "Everybody Loves Ramond"

Hmmm, come to think of it, that may not be such a bad thing :).

H.

Reply to
Howard Eisenhauer

I see Leviton has a duplex outlet plate that is as large as a dual duplex box. You could use the blank side and put the F connector there.

Martin Riddle

Oh, quit whining. It should be easy for a chisler like you.

--
?

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

"Jim Thompson" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Why don't you design a dedicated multiplexer?

--
Thanks,
Fred.

"Jim Thompson" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

I just remember:

A friend of mine had the silly idea to mux hot and cold water in the same copper pipe to get warm water into a small room without installing a second pipe :-)

--
Thanks,
Fred.

I did this with a double box and decora fixtures....Seems they only sell phone and coax probably because of the remote possibility of the shield contacting the hot side. You can reduce this possibility by keeping the coax on the grounded side of the outlet and securing the coax within the box.

Reply to
Lord Garth

As people suggested, NEC probably doesn't allow this. Big hassle with your insurance company if you should have a fire, even if it's unrelated to the combo outlet.

See if you can get a tungstun carbide blade for a jig saw. I got some for my Sawzall when I had to cut ceramic pipe. Just make sure you don't cut up any thing important in the walls!

--
Mark
Reply to

And you would still be in violation of multiple electrical codes.

--
?

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

It is illegal to mix low voltage class 2 wiring such as coax and cat5 with the AC power.

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

Of that, I am certain but that is what the home owner wanted and for the same reason as Jim. I am certain there will be no short as I installed a divider in the box.

Reply to
Lord Garth

Just drill a small round hole for the coax to come thru and mount a surface mount box on the wall, and use silicone seal if moisture is a problem. There's nothing that says it has to be an electrical outlet type faceplate to hold a coax connector. If you insist on a faceplate, then mount a Panduit or Wiremold box to hold the faceplate.

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

That's a good idea, Watson! Three easily drilled holes, one for the coax, two to mount the faceplate into plastic anchors.

Problem solved!

...Jim Thompson

[snip]

That apparently is not correct. I HAVE found plastic outlet boxes with a molded-in divider, for mixed AC and "low voltage devices".

...Jim Thompson

Why not buy a blank plate and drill a few holes?

John

Watson beat to that suggestion. I think it'll work, just a little more difficult to fish the coax through.

...Jim Thompson

If you put a divider in the box, then the box will be in violation for wire fill size. This is a very bad thing to do in the eyes of the NEC, and the insurance companies.

There are things that you haven't thought of, such as what happens if the electrical system undergoes a lightning strike.

-Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Harris