OT: Canadian vs US Dollars in Movies

Hey, exports are up and gas prices are increasing, so we'll be able to export a lot of slightly-used SUVs to the Arab world. And Airbus is in trouble. I seem to be selling a lot more stuff to Boeing lately.

And all the Treasury bonds the the Chinese bought, they'll have to sell at a loss.

John

I got a John Adams Dollar from the stamp vending machine at the post office a month or two ago. (They're doing the same thing to the dollar coin that they did with the Quarter, only with Presidents instead of States). The Arizona copper mining industry lobbies on...

Mark Zenier snipped-for-privacy@eskimo.com Googleproofaddress(account:mzenier provider:eskimo domain:com)

Reply to
Mark Zenier

HOOT!!

You owe me another keyboard, John. This one's full of coffee.

durable; the other is a cheaper thing, but the moths get into it."
                                             (Stephen Leacock)
Reply to
Fred Abse

British pennies are copper plated steel. Found that out by accident when I found a rusty one left over from a trip.

Not only do their cars rust, the money does too ;-)

durable; the other is a cheaper thing, but the moths get into it."
                                             (Stephen Leacock)
Reply to
Fred Abse

Yup- it's been this way for a few years. Last year or so (hmm, I think it was in sept), zinc crossed over and Congress acted to illegalize melting money, just as they did in the 60s (when silver got expensive and dimes, quarters and etc. shifted to laminated cupronickel) and 80s (when copper got expensive and pennies shifted to zinc).

Before, it was legal to modify any U.S. money. Note that paper money is legal tender, i.e. a document, and is defacable. The cold hard stuff is personal property, fine to meddle with as long as you don't defraud anyone with it. Which is illegal anyway, so I don't know why they would have to specify.

Since zinc pennies are exactly 2.50 g and nickels 5.00 g, I use them as reference weights. On my homemade balance, I have weights up to 3.4 kg, accurate to 1% or better, based on this measure.

Tim

Tim Williams

Mmm ...I wonder if copper deplated American pennies mixed in a bucket of Canadian (or British) pennies will prevent rusting by cathodic protection.. (Up until the zinc decomposes..)

American pennies are sacrificed to save the Canadian pennies. :P

D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

Except that I believe more copper comes from South America now-a-days.

...Jim Thompson

Oh Boy, you are completely missing the point about spending $2 bills. It's quite amusing when you hand a $2 bill to a clerk and they say, "oh, they are still make these things?" or they asked their manager "do we take these coupons?" or " I will have to save this one" or the most craziest thing, "where did you get this $2 bill?" And I really laugh in my sleeve when they use that silly pen checker to see if it is REAL. I have heard that $2 bills are "Idiot Finders". And they sure are, and give you a good idea of the dumbing down of out society.

Reply to
dcxdan

Because the BUYER pay the tax. The seller may collect it, but the buyer is the one who pays.

Who (officially) pays the tax? Is it a gross receipts or VAT, or a SALES tax. It makes a difference.

Ouch!

--
  Keith
Reply to

I'd think everyone would be hoarding nickles then.

They were commonly used at race tracks (the reason for the "luck" thing). The two-dollar bet is still quite popular, even if the bill isn't.

U usually carry a couple of 50's, because fewer have issues with them than they do 100's. I say "usually" because I gave 'em out as tips last week, so have only 100's in my emergency stash.

--
  Keith
Reply to

The vending machines down the hall take $1 and $5 bills. They have never rejected a bill of mine (others have though).

--
  Keith
Reply to

I do that for my major personal expenses too. It adds up. Between this week and last, I'll have $5K-$8K on the card. :-( The two month float doesn't make me sad though.

--
  Keith
Reply to

You clearly know nothing of either.

--
  Keith
Reply to

The reason it's illegal to show the price without taxes is to hide the magnitude of the tax. VAT is another excellent way to hide taxes.

John