OT: Canadian vs US Dollars in Movies

[snip]

Bwahahahahahahahaha ;-)

...Jim Thompson

That was between Macarthyism and Bush 2 wasn't it?

Martin

Reply to
Martin Griffith

I guess some people accumulate change, sure. I know a guy who throws his change at the end of each day in a big bowl and lets his daughter take it whenever she visits. But most of us manage things more actively, I would think.

Sure, people are proud of all sorts of things to which they have made no (or negligible) contribution. Music, flapping bits of cloth, shiny objects, ruthless acts, kind acts, and so on. It's all part of group behavior, isn't it? Hopefully the pride (and shame, where justified) acts to move the group in a positive direction.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

In my lifetime I've seen the elimination the Canadian 1$ bill and the

2$ bill. Replaced by coins now nicknamed loonies and toonies. IIRC this was done to reduce Bank of Canada bill replaced costs. I imagine, it was due to some goofyness of a $1 bill costing over $1.00 to replace (paper, printing, cutting, embossing, security features etc.)

Bills get wrecked by washing machines, oil, paint, ink, rips, creases, food, chemicals, dye, graffiti, rough handling etc.. Coins last longer.

I was impressed to see very rip resistant Australian bills.

D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

We don't have euro here but the banks told shops not to accept them because theres too many fake ones around

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

I'm going to start demanding payment for services in Krugerrands.

Happily doing the work of 3 Men ... Moe, Larry & Curly
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Print currency on Tyvek.

Broken pipe. Command flooded basement.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

why is it that they advertise the price without tax knowing very well that everyone will have to pay tax too?

here it is illegal to advertise the price without tax if the majority of customers have to pay the tax, so you only see one price thats the price you have to pay.

but our tax is 25%

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

Had to look that up....

I have to wonder how many Australian bills got beat up because people got curious and tried to rip'm.

D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

How popular are they in Pakistan, I wonder.

Spehro Pefhany

More accurately, it's due to it costing more to replace the note every few months than to replace the coin every few decades.

Hmm. I'm not sure if it actually "costs" anything to maintain coins. By the time that they get taken out of circulation, they're often worth less than the metal they're made from. They're essentially investing a portion of their reserves in low-value bullion, without the expense of a vault.

Reply to
Nobody

Amex from Costco?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I don't think it was that bad.

Ah, here we go

$0.06 a year does add up over a while though.

Robert

Robert Adsett

Reminds me of time I wanted to fill a hole in a concrete floor.

I didn't have enough leftover patch to completely fill the hole. I knew a small box of concrete was almost $6.00. (Lepage Poly Super Strength cement.) I couldn't help but think of filling the hole with $6.00 of pennies and then skim coat the top with my left over patch just to dodge going to the hardware store. :)

I've heard American pennies are copper plated zinc. I did consider filing off the copper and using the zinc to attempt cathodic protection to reduce rust. If implemented right*..it should costs pennies to prevent rust :P

*I barely know anything about cathodic protection and was something that came up when I posted "Water Cooled Power Resistor Gets Rusty".

D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

Yup- melt them down (the copper coating dissolves, to the tune of 2.5% Cu), cast a block of zinc with a copper wire embedded in it, and ground the desired iron stuffs that you want to be the cathode. Voila, protection until the zinc runs out. :-)

Just be careful melting them -- zinc dissolving copper is easy to appreciate, but it also dissolves iron, so you have to be quick if you're using a soup can to melt them in. But how would I know. ;)

Tim

Tim Williams

lol :) ... Turning American pennies into cathode protection metal.

After some Googling on American pennies:

"After the war pennies were made of 95% copper and 5% zinc until 1982 when it changed to 97.6% zinc and 2.4% copper."

American pennies from 1982 to 2007 are 97.% zinc, 2.5% copper.

2.5grams total.

" Canadian pennies prior to 1997 were approximately 98% copper and 1.75 % zinc. From 1997 to 2001, Canadian pennies were modified and were minted as copper-coated zinc wafers. A recent scanning electron microscopic examination of a 2001 Canadian penny indicated approximately 96 % zinc. Today's one-cent coin, modified in 2001, should be made of copper-plated steel (94% steel, 1.5% nickel, 4.5% copper). So, a pre-1997 Canadian penny (aside from being illegal to smash in Canada) should give you a decent result after elongating. "

So....Modern Canadian pennies can't provide cathodic protection :(

Curiously.... " A penny weighs 2.5 g. That means you would need 408,163 pre-1997 pennies to end up with a tonne of copper. As legal tender, this stash would be worth $4,081.63 but as a potential truckload of copper destined for China this would bring in US$7,230 just now on the LME futures market. "

It's illegal to destroy Canadian currency... (Like who's watching or ever goes to jail for that...) Likewise it's probably illegal to destroy US coins in the US.

But.....Is it legal for me to destroy American pennies in Canada?

D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

=BD

I'll take this one. No, people are not too dumb to pay $5.36 for a $3.36 purchase to get $2 exact change... The person behind the register is usually too stupid to figure it out!

-mpm

Reply to
mpm

),

ection

.

America is doing a pretty good job destroying its own currency without any outside help. But thanks for the offer just the same. :) Ha!

Melting pennies for cathodic protection? You guys have waaayy too much time on your hands!

-mpm

Reply to
mpm

My favorite tweak... $4.96 item, hand cashier $5, once rung in, hand cashier a penny... watch 'em squirm ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Humm. that's what computerized cash registers are for, eh?