OT broth

Our turkey carcass with meat on there along with other left-overs has traveled to Oregon with one of our guests, after giving it a good freeze. Nothing will go to waste. It's just that we are not at all fans of turkey left-overs. Eating turkey once a years is ok. Twice a year would be a stretch for me.

I barbecued the 11lbs turkey on the old Weber kettle as usual and it was done in 1-1/2h. My wife prepared all other food in the kitchen. Though I could have fired up our 2nd Weber kettle to cook some more things.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

So much food, so little time.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Duh, why didn't I think of that?

For cheap/easy dumplings, just buy some of those biscuits in a tube and chop into bits. Or don't chop.

Mo makes dumplings from scratch, but her way is labor intensive.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

A body needs around 4 grams of salt per day. A sprinkle from a salt shaker is milligrams, so that's OK.

Home-made broth is low sodium. People can sprinkle their own to taste. I know some serious salt addicts.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Den mandag den 27. november 2017 kl. 19.44.35 UTC+1 skrev John Larkin:

and then of course dessert,

and you have to all of it because there is a present for the one who find the whole almond

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

We think our turkey broth is fabulous, better than any chicken broth, even home-made.

We had a Diestel Farms turkey, which was expensive and awfully good. Maybe 10x the price of the supermarket birds.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

I was thinking from scratch. Granma probably used buttermilk in her biscuits/ dumplings. Salt, fat... I've been getting into acid lately! (Not the psychedelic stuff.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Kind of like New Orleans King Cake.

If your slice has the Baby Jesus doll inside, you have to host the next king cake party.

There's a little bakery down the hill from here

that does King Cakes to order, around Mardi Gras time. After hurricane Katrina, there was a big diaspora of New Orleans cooking all over the USA. You can finally get a decent fried oyster po-boy or edible gumbo in California.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Broth..... YUCK..... Why would anyone waste their money on that crap? It's not food, it's just chicken or turkey, or beef flaovored water.... YUCK!!!

When I was in the hospital they gave me that crap. That was their idea of soup. That's when I asked them for some REAL FOOD....

I still remember when I was young, single, and moved to my own apartment and had to start cooking for myself. I bought a can of chicken broth, thinking it was real soup. I was so disappointed to find a can full of chicken flavored water....

Maybe broth is only for women, because they seem to see something important about buying that crap. Being a man, I want REAL FOOD! Either give me some actual chicken, or quit teasing me with this nonsense. The only one that benefits from broth are the people who sell it. $1.29 for a 12oz can of water is robbery!

I dont know what this has to do with electronics though, but I suspect it would cause serious damage if you poured it on a live circuit board..... Then again, so would a can of water with a little salt added...

Reply to
oldschool

It's free if you have leftover chicken or turkey.

Home-made is excellent; commercial is as you describe.

Broth is not soup. It's a base for cooking other things.

A doctor explained to me that the hospital food was a neurological test. If you like it, you had brain damage.

Yes. That's what they sell in cans in the supermarket.

Real food never comes in cans. I haven't opened a can in decades; I'm not sure I remember how.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

I add broth or sometimes just bullion cubes to the pan drippings to make gravy! And gravy is *real* food. (As far as I'm concerned Thanksgiving is about the gravy.)

For beef dishes, I buy beef base, it's like bullion, but better.

Once the watery mixture tastes right, the trick to good gravy is making a roux for thickening.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Ideally, you want meat and bones, and the bones should have been roasted. Broth made from roast turkey (or chicken) tastes better than broth made directly from an uncooked carcass.

If you're going to be buying whole chickens and cutting them up, then doing a quick pan-roast of the bones before making broth might be worth the effort. Throw some chopped celery, onions, carrots, etc. into the roasting pan as well for good measure.

Reply to
Dave Platt

I suspected that but haven't tried it. Good to know.

We often buy a roasted chicken. This Thanksgiving, we bought a pre-cooked turkey and just finished it in the oven for about an hour. Everything we didn't eat went into the broth pot.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

That occupies the same moral lowground as canned chicken ;}

Shame that nowadays so few people know how to pluck and draw birds.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Diestel Farms. Really good stuff, slow-baked, much better than buying a junk-food raw bird from Safeway. Actually, we bought the entire dinner as a kit. Complain all you want, but I enjoy a meal a lot more if I haven't spent all day cooking it myself.

My grandma used to keep/kill/gut/pluck chickens. It's not a skill that I want to acquire.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

I'm not complaining! I'm merely enjoying the situation!

I've only killed crustacea. I rarely do it (partly because I'm, stunningly inefficient), but I regard plucking and drawing as bird as being part of avoiding the "Q: where to chickens come from? A: the supermarket" syndrome.

Or, alternatively and relevantly to your past festival, being able to give thanks for the fowl's life and end.

Over here it is appalling just how many kids have no feeling for how big a cow is, for example. That isn't helped by the ubiquitous journalistic measures of "double decker busses", olympic swimming pools", and "football pitches".

I'm mutating into a grumpy old man.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

We've done the pre-roasted-chicken-to-broth trick quite a few times. Only problem is that the pre-roasted chickens that are conveniently available, tend to be rather on the salty side, and this comes through in the broth/soup.

Reply to
Dave Platt

One of the things to be thankful for at Thanksgiving is turkeys.

Aren't those SI units?

My old cajun daddy-in-law farmer wanted to gross-out this college brat (me) so invited me to help him castrate a calf. We threw him into the back of a pickup truck and spread his legs, knife ready. Even calves are STRONG, especially with a knife in sight. He fished around for a while but couldn't find the target. It turned out to be a girl-cow.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Den tirsdag den 28. november 2017 kl. 01.53.48 UTC+1 skrev John Larkin:

reminds me of an old episode of Mike Rowe's "Dirty Jobs" palpating a cow and picking the wrong hole

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Leftover turkey is better than the first time around. I'll be eating turkey sandwiches for lunch all week. Beats the crap out of deli turkey (that I eat the other 51 weeks of the year).

Reply to
krw