OT: Big Medical Scare

Thursday morning I awoke to no useful vision in my right eye... looked like San Diego with a bad fog.

Dashed to my family doctor figuring since I was being treated for a sinus infection and bronchitis the infection had gotten into my eye.

"Nope", says the doctor, "see you eye doctor ASAP"

Got into the eye doctor yesterday afternoon... no problem, some people just develop a film around their lens implants. YAG cleansing a week from Monday.

Whew!

...Jim Thompson

Hey, I thought I had lymphoma. Just found out I don't. Dying would be damned inconvenient just now.

John

You and I are VERY much alike ;-)

I don't fear dying, just the inconvenience. Though I must say that my oldest son took over seamlessly when I had the heart attack in 1998... and he was only 28 at the time.

Note how we both keep on working, even in the midst of a potential disaster. Thanks god for keyboards... I have trouble writing with mono-vision (and I drove home during rush hour last night from downtown Phoenix ;-)

(During my stay in hospital after the heart attack, I was teaching the male nurse Algebra ;-)

...Jim Thompson

John,

That's good news.

Most folks would consider dying to be "damned inconvenient" most if not all the time.........

--
James T. White
Reply to

Gack. That would be a major whack on the side of the head.

Apparently Ben Gazzara studied engineering.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Well, it *is* on the side of my head. Two courses of antibiotics, four needle biopsies (one without anaesthetic... there turn out to be a lot of nerves thereabout) and one MRI later (interesting experience... I'll post images if I can), it turns out to be, well, a bump. So I guess I have to finish the firmware for the dds thing; dumping that would be a definite fringe benefit of having a fatal disease.

John

Would that be non-invasive? How long have you had them? I'm curious since my mom has them as well.

Martin Riddle

Those are the pulsed gradient coils. The main superconductive magnet make a big, static, very homogenous field, and that makes nuclei (usually hydrogen) have an rf resonant frequency. The smaller gradient coils make the rf field vary in space, so that different parts of the object (like, my head) have different resonant frequencies, so they can get spatial resolution. They play all sorts of tricks with the

3-axis gradient fields to extract enough info to reconstruct an image. The gradients are pulsed, and they jump like a speaker coil in the big static field; that makes the noise.

The main field is there all the time; it's a superconductive electromagnetmagnet. They fill it with liquid helium, connect a power supply, charge it up, short it out, put the power supply in the truck, and leave. The current just keeps circulating. It needs to be topped off with helium every few months.

I didn't feel anything from the fields, although it was noisy. They make you wear earplugs.

I make pulsed gradient drivers for smaller systems, NMR and small-bore (lab animal size) MRI systems. Mine are linear amps and run from 3 amps/16 volts single-axis for NMR, up to 100 amps/180 volts 3-axis for imaging. The full-body gradient drivers are h-bridge switchers, 300 amps and 200 volts peak sort of ballpark, which is why they're loud.

John

I think it's non-invasive. I've had them for just over five years.

...Jim Thompson

Why intra-ocular lenses and not lasik or similar?

Best Regards

Steve Sousa

Reply to
Steve Sousa

Probably because he has been treated for cataracts

He's a bit young to have had a lens replaced because of cataract formation, but he does live in Arizona, where there is a lot of UV around.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

...and someone is on the tail end of their bathtub curve.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

Not a real good sign that you should spontaneously grow bumps requiring antibiotics...

Easy for you to say when you miss out on the experience of progressing to the termination phase...

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

I had RK originally, but RK creeps back to near-sighted over time.

(LASIK didn't exist back then.)

Intra-ocular drops a lens of the proper prescription right in there.

...Jim Thompson

Naaah. I had a lens replacement because it was the best solution to

20/450 ;-)

Is 67 a "bit young" ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

Isn't there still a problem with range of focus (age related)? So you need external lenses for some of the time?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Yes. I use reading glasses. Young folk wouldn't need them.

But now I can buy off-the-shelf readers and sun glasses at Sam's Club ;-)

...Jim Thompson

[snip]

I'll trade you some smarts for some business savvy ;-)

...Jim Thompson

[...]

Sun glasses. Hah! Now you just had to rub that in, did ya? While everyone else is shivering and scraping the ice off the windshields.

Luckily it did become nicer out here, about 65F today. But they said we should not expect that to last more than another couple of days :-(

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Ten day Phoenix forecast...

Today 75 Monday 79 Tuesday 78 Wednesday 81 Thursday 83 Friday 83 Saturday 84 Sunday 85 Monday 87 Tuesday 89

I always keep a pair of sunglasses both in the car and in the truck ;-)

...Jim Thompson