OT: BBQ Rib Showdown

Whilst i cook up a nice hot curry, I was watching Lifestyle food channel. It pisses me off the I pay so much money for cable and get so many adds. Anyway, i figure like all the cable channels, that Lifystyle must be a spin-off of some American cable channel. However, all of a sudden comes the BBQ rib showdown. Perhaps this is ironic, since i asked the 'how to cook ribs question' but now i know.

So all this time I have been using my aussie gas or wood fired BBQ and it is nothing like what the Rib doctors use over there. Man those bbq have these rotesserie like grill things that spin over some smoking wood and heat beads i think (i couldnt really see). Perhaps that is why my ribs fail.... Nope, not that.

Me in my infinite wisdom seprate ribs before cooking...bad.. How could i be so stupid, duhh, cook it like a rack of lamb.... I know for next time. No wonder they always turned out so crap. I guess the only time I have ever eaten good ribs is when I am smashed off my face at some Microsoft party thing (the ones where they try make you buy their product), but i always focus on the beer. Hey it is free beer. Anyway, i have never paid much attention to the rib, so I always fail to notice that they are cut AFTER the cooking.

The other thing these doctors do is smoke these ribs for 4 hours or so. Wow, i cook my ribs in like 20 minutes.

I guess i need to make some vents in my bbq hood. And perhaps seal off the bottom?? Fuck that, i ahve been threating the missus for ages that I am going to buy one of them fancy bbq's, perhpas its time I when out and did it. I guess she wont talk to me for a week, if I am lucky maybe 2, but hey, its gotta be worth a good feed of ribs...

The REAL Andy

Reply to
The Real Andy

Ah, but do you? Seems more like you know some of the things you've been doing wrong, but not so much how to do it right. Consider the sources...

So, you're taking the reverse-engineering approach here?

See, there's hardware engineering AND process engineering. And don't forget chemistry; did they talk at all about the ingredients of their sauces and marinades? I bet not in any detail.

Kinda hard to do proper research with all that beer in you, isn't it? WHY DID YOU THINK THE BEER WAS FREE?

The proper tools are essential to any endeavor. You wouldn't solder SMDs with a propane torch, would you? They did all the R&D to get the hardware right, is it worth your time and expense (in wasted meat) to reverse-engineer it?

Depends, does she like good ribs as much as you do?

BTW I've noticed many of the cooking-oriented cable shows are devolving into infomercials. Some, while happily detailing the features you should look for on grills (giving away enough that you could make your own if you paid attention), will recommend pre-made marinades and sauces. Others will give away recipe secrets but will recommend a particular brand of grill at a very shallow level of detail. Useta be they'd give more info away. Guess that's progress, eh?

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
Mark L. Fergerson

In the 80's some repairmen of computers did have a "little" too much power in their soldering iron.. ;)

So if you combine the shows you get all the details .. ;) Otoh my personal acceptance for spam in any form is very low.

Reply to
pbdelete

If you are really serious make a smoker out of a clean 55 gallon drum or an old refrigerator. You put the coals in the bottom, a pan of water over that and the racks near the top. Don't use the frige racks, they have cadmium in them. Get replacement grill racks or just use expanded metal. I have a smoker with an electric element and I put wood chunks around it for the smoke. 4-5 hours is about right. Marinate them the night before or use a dry rub.

Reply to
gfretwell

This is where the problem starts, she is almost a vegan. She will drink wine with milk or gelatin based settling agents. She wont eat meat, wont even eat vegan meat products cause it tastes like meat.

Reply to
The Real Andy

I love Good Eats. Very informative, and noticably geeky!

Tim

--
Deep Fryer: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

Frige racks?

Reply to
pbdelete

I cook pork ribs like this:

Use "country-style" (meaty, bone-in ribs)

Boil for maybe 15 minutes, trim

Marinate for 24 hours at room temp

BBQ and baste until the outside looks good, 15 minutes maybe.

The marinade is equal parts soy sauce, yellow mustard, and honey, with a little tobasco and worstershire.

Works for me.

John

Yep, Alton Brown is my favorite... and he has such neat kitchen gadgets, most of which I've duplicated ;-)

...Jim Thompson

The wire racks that are in the old refrigerator. They can have heavy metals in the plating.

Reply to
gfretwell

Try a cooking bag in the oven for an hour or twofor this step. It holds the flavor and cooks out the excess fat. Put your spices in the bag with a splash of white wine.

Then grill them hot and fast..

Reply to
gfretwell

That sounds good; I'll give it a try.

John

Marinate for 24 hours at room temp?

Do you mean middle-of-New-Zealand-winter room temp or superheated-Sacramento/Phoenix-summertime 40-degree-C room temp?

Personally I like 'em marinated for 3 days in the fridge. Minimum: 2 days, but no more than 3.

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

Whatever temperature it's comfortable to run around naked. ;-)

Reply to
Rich, but drunk

Sure. They've been boiled, after all, and nothing could live in that sauce.

Run-around-in-sweats temp, say, 65F.

I'm not that patient when I want ribs, and the fridge is usually full anyhow, hence the 1-day room-temp thing.

John

Ah, boiled! That explains it. But, why boil prior to marinating, just curious? Are the ribs still tender after boiling + barbecuing?

md

Reply to
mrdarrett