OT: Are All Odd Numbers Prime?

On Fri, 02 Jun 2006 16:14:17 GMT, Rich Grise Gave us:

All odd numbers are NOT prime, however all PRIME numbers, with the exception of 1 are odd.

2 is a prime number.
Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

On Fri, 2 Jun 2006 23:59:25 +0200, "[jongware]" Gave us:

And one cannot carry one's drink from the bar to a table either...

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

On Sat, 3 Jun 2006 20:46:18 +0100, "moriman" Gave us:

Well, she was never president, though she was the bearded wife of one.

Watching Barbara Bush "do a number" would be more nauseating than watching Roseanne sing the National Anthem.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

The modern computer programmer writes the mathemetician's solution, depending on the optimizer to reduce it to the engineer's solution :-).

Reply to
Matthew Russotto

How many mathematicians to change a light bulb?

One, who hands it to five Californians, thereby reducing it to a previously solved riddle.

--
Many thanks,

Please visit my GURU\'s LAIR web site at http://www.tinaja.com
Reply to
Don Lancaster

And there are, of course, many more even number than odd ones. Since if you double an odd number you get an even one, and if you double an even number you get an even one, there must be twice as many even numbers as odd ones....

--
On-line canal route planner: http://www.canalplan.org.uk

(Waterways World site of the month, April 2001)
My Reply-To address *is* valid, though may not remain so for ever.
Reply to
Nick Atty

On Sun, 04 Jun 2006 21:37:40 +0100, Nick Atty Gave us:

Pretty good, and even slightly funny.

There has to be just as many odd ones though as they are required as separators for even numbers.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

Interestingly, that argument does not preclude the possibility that there are /more/ odd numbers than even numbers. :-)

--
Richard Heathfield
"Usenet is a strange place" - dmr 29/7/1999

Ought to be more evens. Zero is even. But that depends which infinity is, too.

Tim

--
Deep Fryer: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

And in fact there *are* more odds. If you halve an odd number you get something that is neither odd nor even, but if you halve an even number you have an even chance of getting an odd number, so statistically you have a better than even chance of more odds.

--
Patrick Hamlyn   posting from Perth, Western Australia
Windsurfing capital of the Southern Hemisphere

On Mon, 05 Jun 2006 00:22:12 GMT, Patrick Hamlyn Gave us:

I think that is a pretty odd remark. There... now we're even.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

I spent several long, agonising minutes deciding not to say that. And for what? :-)

ObPuzzle (old chestnut): ONE ONE TWO TWO THREE ELEVEN ------ TWENTY

--
Richard Heathfield
"Usenet is a strange place" - dmr 29/7/1999
http://www.cpax.org.uk
Richard Heathfield

One 1 plus two 2's plus three 11's is 1 + 2(2) + 3(11) = 38, which does not equal 20 (dashes as summation line) or divide evenly by 20 (division line).

:-P

Tim

--
Deep Fryer: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

It *is* funny, though most of us have heard it (several times) before.

By this argument there are as many rational numbers as irrationals! (There is a rational between any two distinct irrationals.)

James Dow Allen

Reply to
James Dow Allen

Indeed, there are infinitely many rationals between any two distinct irrationals. And yet there are infinitely more irrationals than rationals. It is this kind of thing that leads some to conclude that mathematics itself is irrational. :-)

--
Richard Heathfield
"Usenet is a strange place" - dmr 29/7/1999
http://www.cpax.org.uk
Richard Heathfield

On 4 Jun 2006 23:46:46 -0700, "James Dow Allen" Gave us:

Yes, but that is an oddly irrational debate.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

All prime numbers are odd, apart from 2. 8-)

Leon

Reply to
Leon

On 5 Jun 2006 02:40:29 -0700, "Leon" Gave us:

All Usenet dabblers unable to read topic headers are ODD as well...

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

In message , "[jongware]" writes

This is not true. The statute you refer to defines various values for pi, including 5.5; but 3 is not among them.

Nick

--
Nick Wedd    nick@maproom.co.uk
Reply to

I don't think you can really say that (relationship of amounts). You can say that the rationals are denumerable, and that the irrationals are not. Here denumerable means capable of being put into one to one correspondence with the positive integers. Hence the invention of various alephs.

  They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country
  and our people, and neither do we."          -- G. W. Bush.
 "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the
  leaders.  All you have to do is tell them they are being
  attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism
  and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way
  in any country."                         --Hermann Goering.
Reply to
CBFalconer