OT: Acrobat Problems

2000.

thing

badness of

ME was bad, but nowhere near in the same class as W95. I am one of not all that many to successfully unwind a ME upgrade install (from W98 not se).

Reply to
JosephKK

I have reinstalled 95, 98, 98 SE on a lot of computers, but I've only had to install ME on replacement drives when the original failed. I've herd that some motherboards didn't work well with ME and the required drivers. I still use the one computer with ME, because all my favorite graphics software, and hardware do not work under XP or Linux.

Michael A. Terrell

2000.

thing

badness of

Vista.

So what is your favorite software?

Reply to
JosephKK

An older version of Paperport. It works well with the early USB and other flatbed scanners that don't have XP drivers. I have about 20 of them. paperport creates fairly small files in their .max format. You can drag a group of scans into a single document and convert into PDF document easily. paperport has some decent tools to clean up scans of pictures, including a simple tool to straighten a photo or text scan with a couple clicks. I've used the program for at least eight years under ME with no problems, but it refused to run under XP.

I also use a version of Textbridge to convert scanned text into ASCII files. It is handy to scan the index of a book, or series of manuals so I can convert them to plain text. Then add tab delimiting, and use a simple & replace to turn it into a HTML document. For example, I created this page that way:

faster than I could type in the data by hand. I removed the title and other misc information from that page to create the PDF of the page:

BTW, this was done for people who collect & restore old radios & TVs to know when something as built.

This is an index to some record changer, disk cutter, wire recorder and early tape recorder manuals the publisher doesn't index in their electronic database. it was a scan of each manual, then resorted by brand and model after the combined file was imported into a database. Then each entry was verified by comparing it to the actual manuals. There were a couple dozen errors in the printed indexes.

Michael A. Terrell

only

I've

favorite

Oof. I do not know of anything that can replace Paperport. Those transitional scanners before TWAIN was standard had some funny characteristics. I once had an old SCSI port scanner, came with its own card. Weirdest thing, from the time i had bought it, new OS installs did not seem to need drivers, it just worked.

There are equivalents to Textbridge though.

Reply to
JosephKK