OT: 30th anniversary of the Challenger

The volumetric density they list is an apples to oranges comparison: one's a ROM and the other a RAM.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

There is, but the cores are different: in RAM the cores are hard magnetic (kind of permanent magnet), and in ROM (rope) memory, the cores are soft (transformer cores).

In a RAM, the bit is stored as the direction of the permanent magnet, in the ROM, the bit is determined whether a word line passes insode or outside the core loop.

--

-TV
Reply to

The wiki article says they could pass up to 64 word lines through a single core, that's quite miniature, they must have been using 100 ga. wire!

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

We used cores with a 6 mm center hole in the 1960's.

--

-TV
Reply to

I remember a price breakthrough from IBM: $50,000 per megabyte.

PDP-11 core was about $500 per kilobyte.

lunatic fringe electronics

Four-year-olds do tend to be fascinated by farting ...

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

There's schematics in the 9100ServiceManual-09100-90034-110pages.pdf here:

Whether they're complete or not...

Reply to
JW