50-th Anniversary of the CORDIC Algorithm

50-th Anniversary of the CORDIC Algorithm

Exactly 50 years ago - in the 1956 - the first Jack Volder's publication, describing CORDIC algorithm:

"Binary computation algorithm for coordinate rotation and function generation ", Report IAR-I 14S , Aeroelectronic group, June, 1956 Convair was published.

Until now CORDIC technique is one of the most effective method of solving many computational problems.

Since 1956, when this method was firstly suggested, about 1500 publications were issued in more than 30 countries: Australia, Canada, China, France, Germany, Great Britain, Greece, Hong- Kong, India, Israel, Italy, Japan, The Netherlands, Romania, Spain, Switzerland, Taiwan, United Kingdom, USA, the former USSR (mainly Russia, Ukraine, and Belorussia) and many others. Only in the USA similar researches have been made in about 25 universities.

VLSI, based on CORDIC or its modifications, have been made in commercial production since from the beginning of 70-th. They were used for trigonometric and logarithmic functions evaluation in Hewlett-Packard's calculators: HP-35, 45, 65. Many other companies in different countries use this method in calculators for the same purpose.

Still further field of application of CORDIC method are coprocessors INTEL: 8087, 80287, 80387 etc. included in the personal computers IBM PC.

Firm TRW manufactures in commercial scale microcircuit TRW 2330 designed for plane rotations of coordinates, based on CORDIC technique, for digital signal processing. NEC corporation produces coprocessor VLSI PD 72691, dedi- cated for elementary functions evaluation and coordinate transformation with floating point based on Volder's algorithms.

Currently the major part of publications is related to using of CORDIC algorithm for digital signal processing, many-dimensional coordinate transforms. The other part concerns with generalization of the CORDIC algorithm for solving linear systems equations, eigenvalue problems, statistical characteristics estimation.

Many publications are related to application of the CORDIC and CORDIC-like algorithms and structures to robotics control, display processors, numerical control systems.

So I suggest firstly to create the list of the bibliography in the CORDIC field, like it was done in 1995 (now unfortunately it is a dead link):

One of the purpose of this coordination is not to duplicate the research, that were made by the other authors many years ago, as say in Russia " not to invent the bicycle again". Now due to the Internet it is very easy to do.

The short lists of some publications in the CORDIC field are in:

All the investigations related to CORDIC method could be divided into the following groups:

- theory of properly CORDIC: convergence:conditions and domain, error analysis, fixed and floating point representation, using of nonbinary number representation, unification of the algorithms, methods of acceleration,comparing with the other methods

- expandings of CORDIC possibilities: new kinds of functions of one and two variables, functions of functions, three and four-dimension coordinate transforms, solving linear and nonlinear systems equations, eigenvalue and singular value problems

- implementation and application of CORDIC : standard and nonstandard CORDIC architectures: on-line, pipeline, matrix, ROM-based, VLSI and ULSI, based on CORDIC, coprocessors, cal culators, DSP processors, display processors, robotic processors.

May be just now it`s the time to have a look at "Oldies-but-goodies" things at CORDIC and digit-by-digit area:

vladimir

I have a print out of this bibliography somewhere in my files. I haven't had a chance to transcribe it into an on-line bibliography.

I do have a short bibliography of a few dozen CORDIC references on my website at

Ray Andraka

Dis you meen this:

henk

Did you mean this:

Henk van Kampen

Reply to
henk

Did you mean this:

Henk van Kampen

YES!!! Thanks a lot, Henk for your help. Vladimir

Reply to
vladimir