Optical diode, a one way light guide

Right. It's allowed too pass light one way but absorb it the other. A

3-port microwave circulator does that:

A --> B

B --> C

C --> A

which becomes an AtoB isolator if you terminate C.

John

Oops! The reflective properties vs film thickness was what I was thinking of. But, I now remember that it was not total reflection at all frequencies.

Sorry to get you excited :-)

John S

Reply to
John S

"Become opaque to".

Reply to
Naomi Price

It seems it is I that must spell things out!

... and therefore a true one-way mirror does not exist.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

May i spell something out: light is a form of energy. Do with it whatever you want and you will find no violation of conservation of energy - no increase as you incorrectly implied.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Intelligence at last!

Reply to
Robert Baer

I do not think that the term "absorb" is correct..

Reply to
Robert Baer

OK, what is the correct term?

John

Choose: (a) reflect, (b) convert to another form of energy like heat as an example, (c) both.

Reply to
Robert Baer

(b) = absorb. As in "absorbtive filter"

John

I think the principle that a one-way mirror violates is thermodynamic (radiant heat transfer cannot be made one-way). I've got the Feynman book, where is this treated there?

Reply to
whit3rd