opamps coming off the rail

I need to drive a mosfet in current-sink mode. It's similar to this circuit

but V- will be ground and I'll run the opamp off +8 or +10 or something, whatever drive the fet needs to sink 150 amps.

I'd prefer to not have a negative power supply. At zero requested current, I want the current to be really zero, namely the fet gate at ground. I can futz in a little DC offset to guarantee that the opamp rails low.

Opamps are often not spec'd for what happens when they rail, namely how slow and how ugly they come out of saturation. An internal compensation node can wind up. I'd like to get back in business in ballpark 1 us.

Does anybody have favorite R-R opamps that come out of saturation fast and clean?

I recall one Intersil chopamp that took several seconds to recover.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

LM324.... just kidding :-)

Can't you add a clamping circuit to make sure it never saturates, like a Baker clamp, just wound around the opamp and with very small clamp voltage? (maybe adding a small bias)

Regards

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

"Connecting the load resistor to ground and operating from a single supply, the outputs swing completely to ground without saturating. The outputs can also drive to within 1.2V of the top rail. The EL2150 and EL2157 will outp ut ±100mA and will operate with single supply voltages as low as 2.7V, ma king them ideal for portable, low power applications."

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

clamp, just wound around the opamp and with very small clamp voltage? (maybe adding a small bias)

CMOS doesn't "saturate", i.e. there's no storage. Although compensation caps can "wind up", even in CMOS OpAmps.

Solutions would depend on how fast John needs the current to change, and/or whether the object is to switch on and off a fixed current. ...Jim Thompson

Ummm... "However, special circuitry built into the EL2150 and EL2157 allows the output to follow the input signal to ground without recovery delays."

"Special circuitry" performance should be verified by the user.

They do spec the recovery from upper limit clamp at 7ns.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

clamp, just wound around the opamp and with very small clamp voltage? (maybe adding a small bias)

With a negative supply, I'd just hang a diode across (or instead of) the cap in my circuit. The opamp output would hang at -0.6 or whatever, still closed-loop. It takes more parts to do that without a negative supply, to hang at +0.3 or something just below the mosfet threshold. It's a parts count tradeoff against just making a negative supply voltage with a charge pump or something.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

outputs swing completely to ground without saturating. The outputs can also drive to within 1.2V of the top rail. The EL2150 and EL2157 will output ±100mA and will operate with single supply voltages as low as 2.7V, making them ideal for portable, low power applications."

Nice amp, but it seems to be "retired."

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

clamp, just wound around the opamp and with very small clamp voltage? (maybe adding a small bias)

Doesn't the feed-forward compensation (for stability) guarantee that there will be a recovery time from off to on? ...Jim Thompson

John - take a look at the CMOS 4000 series "buffers". They looked ok on a test jig for driving 250 volt mosfets rated around 20 amps. If I remember correctly, the results weren't blitzkreig speedy but ok. A single mosfet could be driven by all the "buffers" in the package, which might match the

150 amp device you mentioned. Price is nice, too.

Hul

John Lark> I need to drive a mosfet in current-sink mode. It's similar to this

dbr

Baker clamp, just wound around the opamp and with very small clamp voltage? (maybe adding a small bias)

Then add the gate charge plateau. Interesting problem with so many interleaved issues. ...Jim Thompson

ly, the outputs swing completely to ground without saturating. The outputs can also drive to within 1.2V of the top rail. The EL2150 and EL2157 will o utput ±100mA and will operate with single supply voltages as low as 2.7V, making them ideal for portable, low power applications."

The good ones always retire young.

"As shown in Figure 41, the AD8051/AD8052/ AD8054 recover within 60 ns from negative overdrive and within 45 ns from positive overdrive."

bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

the outputs swing completely to ground without saturating. The outputs can also drive to within 1.2V of the top rail. The EL2150 and EL2157 will output ±100mA and will operate with single supply voltages as low as 2.7V, making them ideal for portable, low power applications."

That's a nice amp, not very expensive either. Its compensation caps are connected to the output, like an LM8261, instead of being on some node buried inside.

We stock the LM8261, so I tried one:

Not bad, recovers in well under a microsecond for sine or square wave signals.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Chopamps are notoriously bad, because as you say, the autozero mechanism winds up when they're railed. I'm a fan of the AD8605 for that sort of job, on account of its very low open loop output resistance. Unfortunately it's a 5V part, so it probably isn't what you want.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 USA
+1 845 480 2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

or2.JPG

What kind of big power FET in linear mode, which should mean some kind of e levated temperature operation, gets you 0.000 current? If say 10V across R2 is 150A, then that means 10uV gets you 150uA. I don't think the circuit as shown is capable of 120dB range.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

elevated temperature operation, gets you 0.000 current? If say 10V across R2 is

150A, then that means 10uV gets you 150uA. I don't think the circuit as shown is capable of 120dB range.

The Magic FET from Wizard of Oz >:-} My guess is a 150A MOSFET will leak more than that.

And, with a FET that size, the gate charge plateau is going to rape any fast response. ...Jim Thompson

As I noted, I can add some tens of millivolts to the input (say, add a resistor from some V+ to the opamp inverting input) to overcome the opamp offset voltage and force its output to rail low.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

elevated temperature operation, gets you 0.000 current? If say 10V across R2 is

150A, then that means 10uV gets you 150uA. I don't think the circuit as shown is capable of 120dB range.

R2 will be 10 milliohms, 1.5 volts at 150A.

One candidate fet is an IXYS part, huge SOA, that has Idss of 5 uA max ar room temp, 50 uA max at 125C. Sounds like power mosfets aren't as leaky as they used to be.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

First problem needs to be solved is based on the fact that any opamp configured that way has an undefined output voltage with zero in. So close the loop; ditch Mister Big Cap and use a resistor in its place; start with 10K but no larger than 100K and work from there.

Reply to
Robert Baer

irror2.JPG

f elevated temperature operation, gets you 0.000 current? If say 10V across R2 is 150A, then that means 10uV gets you 150uA. I don't think the circuit as shown is capable of 120dB range.

Okay, so this is not really an analog circuit, it's switching between two e xtremes, 150A and 0A.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

elevated temperature operation, gets you 0.000 current? If say 10V across R2 is

150A, then that means 10uV gets you 150uA. I don't think the circuit as shown is capable of 120dB range.

extremes, 150A and 0A.

No, it will be pulsed but it is linear. It can do any current from 0 to 150A, with moderate accuracy. The customer programs the current. Of course, it can't do 150 amps for long, but the duty cycle requirement is low.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links