Opamp w/ Vsupply >36V

Take a look at URS2153D. It does all that oscillator/driver stuff. Works great.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Here's something smilar, with an ISDN transformer to make 120 volts...

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

I'm using that one too (IRS2153D). I'll probably switch to the quicker one (IRS21531D) because it has 0.6 us dead time instead of 1.5 us. That will let me bump up the frequency and so halve the volt-seconds for a given output power.

The little ISDN transformers have leakage inductance below 0.1%.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Thanks.

What frequency do you drive it at?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Sure, as long as the LM317's output is enough to wake up the op amp. The output should be more or less an open circuit until the bias comes up, I think, so the 317's output follows its input till you start pulling current out of the resistor string or zener.

317s are pretty slow, so you want to use the split feedback trick with a cap from the op amp output to its inverting input.

Cheers

Phil

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Michael A. Terrell

Well what is this stuff about exceeding 36V??? Is it some kind of start-up overshoot?

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

I had a burn-in oven issue on a 5V part and 8V transorbs were fine. A lot depends on the chip design. Parts with large devices tend to do worse since the field created due to the excess voltage "seeks" a crystal defect. Lots of active area means more chances to find that defect. Most electromigration rules are generous enough that you don't see metal failure due to overvoltage. So the routing area doesn't count.

Reply to
miso

That part is bipolar on SOI. You would think the active circuitry would benefit from the insulator, but I have no first hand knowledge of that. [Usually a reversed bias diode is what fails in overvoltage.] But the part is cutting edge, so I can see the tolerances being tight.

Reply to
miso

100K, from the chart on the data sheet!

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Yeah I was going to add to the original thread that Apex opamp's need not apply :^) (too big and too expensive) There's that nice little LTC6090 that Fred Bartoli pointed to. (I should order some of them, to replace an Apex part.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

te:

As.

able bias. The LM317's had too much drift and so I've now got a 10 Volt re ference gained up to 30V.

p overshoot?

Well I'm not exceeding 36 V. Just feeling that the design is a bit tight.. 30 Volt out with ~2V of head room at the top and the minus supply 2V below ground... And then worrying about the variation in parts. If I had, say 4

0 V, then I could relax everything. Not to worry I've got opamps ordered. I think the TLE2142 may be the winne r. It's even got a bit less input C.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Hi George

Ask John Larkin if he can "dig" the schematic up again:

/Glenn

Reply to
Glenn

pushing the 36V supply limit and I?m a little worried. So I went looki ng for a similar opamp but with a bit more headroom.

.

XBtDF23xEJ

Hmm that link (whatever it is) doesn't work for me. But JL already posted a number of opamps. George H.

Reply to
George Herold

I think it was John's photo-MOS totem pole idea.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

The FTP thing didn't work well, so I'm using Dropbox now. Here's the HV amp idea:

I actually did it once, for the atom probe project, and it worked fine.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

What do you do with FB?

--

Reply in group, but if emailing remove the last word.
Reply to

Whatever you like. What you do with feedback is application dependant.

Oh, those optos really deserve b-e resistors. That reduces CTR but increases speed and breakdown voltage.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Of course, but how? You must have had an equally clever way to isolate it.

--

Reply in group, but if emailing remove the last word.
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Flooby Dust ?:-} ...Jim Thompson