OPAMP ASTABLE

No problem. It was the collector! My guess at a reason is that there's more area. (aren't the emitters smaller than the collector.. basically the substrate ???)

It'd take too long for JL's 60k ohm to get here :^), so I stuck my favorite 10k ohm across it.

I LED I sc V/10k ohm (mA) (uA) (V) ________________________

10 47 0.45 20 96 0.525 30 143 0.55 40 188 0.56

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

I recall a TI IR photodiode (TL1xx ??) which produced around 1mA in ordinary room light, and more then 20mA outdoors in the Arizona sun. ...Jim Thompson

Well! That's not very thrilling :-(

I remember playing with plates from a Selenium rectifier when I was a kid. Wonder what that puts out? ...Jim Thompson

You told me to check the supply current. I saw 9 mA peaks with a 1.5 us edge, which you called "horrendous", which statement makes no sense. I'm thinking that, in your eagerness to be critical, you looked at the shape but not the scaling.

So: is 9 ma with a 1.5 us risetime a "horrendous" current spike?

I don't do IC design. It doesn't interest me. You seem to be pretty good at it, as long as you don't get off-chip. But, as I've said, you couldn't design any of the stuff we make.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Right. Shorting b-c makes it a better diode but a much worse solar cell.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

I said short c-e. ...Jim Thompson

I just tried a 3mm red led held under a desk lamp, 1.35V

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

I think we've got some opto-coupleres with better than 50% CTR... I'll have to look see. (dang it's a photo transistor (MCT62) I thought the detector was just a diode...)

OK not to be out done I got a big ass photodiode (PIN 10DI) (100mm^2 area.. we pay ~$35 a piece for these babies.)

And I've got a little IR LED that I know puts out a lot of photons op233

with 10mA of LED current (1.24 Vf) I could only get 700 uA SC from the photodiode. ... 7% CTR, you still beat me... maybe I win at energy transfer... but it's still pretty poor.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Sounds unlikely. My Vishay part is huge, 7 sq mm active area, and it makes a few uA in room light, 100 lux, and around 2 mA in sunlight, over 100 Klux.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Probably. The Cree makes a lot of blue, and the pd is almost blind up (down?) there.

I tried a couple of handy IR and visible LEDs, but the Cree still wins. It's shockingly bright at 20 mA.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Not unlikely. It's in a plastic transistor package larger then a

2N3904, whatever package style that is, so the die can be huge. (7mm^2 isn't huge... I have custom chips 10mm on a side, 100mm^2.)

(Original usage was for IR TV controls, back around 1985.)

I was last using them to look skyward and find the prop modulation from CHiP's aircraft flying speed traps out of Blythe ;-) ...Jim Thompson

still sound like much

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

I think the issue is, that the full power-supply noise (of the op amp power supply) gets through. I'm thinking that the triangle-wave (if derived from a saturated square wave) has a nice RC filter, and is regulated by the triangle-wave range switching (accurate P-P voltage, even if there's some RMS uncertainty).

Reply to
whit3rd

A '555 with the CTRL pin set to a well-regulated voltage, generates a constant-amplitude triangle wave (instead of constant-frequency). Yeah, OK, it's not exactly a triangle, but good enough for power-supply uses, and amplitude is independent of power supply noise.

Reply to
whit3rd

I'n not so much concerned with the power supply noise getting into my step-up converter. The real concern is noise generated by the converter getting into a photodiode front-end.

If I drive a transformer and rectify the secondary, there will be current peaks at the top of the triangle, charging the caps. Load regulation will be poor.

One problem with a triangle is that it *doesn't* rail the opamp, so you have to give up some signal swing to keep the amps linear. Maybe you could use a triangle that does clip, saturate the amps at peak swing, but then it's a trapezoid, morally equivalent to my square wave with low slew rate.

My goal is to keep di/dt low everywhere in the circuit. The opamp that I want to use will slew in a few microseconds, which is super soft compared to some CMOS 555-type thing, or some switcher chip.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

What's unlikely is the 20:1 current ratio, when the light ratio is probably over 1000:1.

We'd have to see that TL1xx date sheet to learn more.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

It's much like an MOS device, limited carriers. Ask Phil.

I'm trying to remember the part number. I'm sure I have some around here somewhere. ...Jim Thompson

ng

wn.

wer

But fast compared with the sine waves you've got in a Baxandall class-D osc illator. You do a have a lower frequency limit with the Baxandall approach, set by the onset of magnetic saturation in the transformer core, but max d i/dt is going to be lower than anything you can do with a triangle wave gen erator.

scillator1.htm

shows very soggy switching. Since the DMOS switches won't squeg, you use a much bigger inductance at L3 than I did.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

No, I was thinking if you clipped off the top of a triangle, just right, you could tune down some harmonic*.. it's much more like a sine, and you could drive it right up near the rails.

George H.

*this must have been mentioned here before... I recall some theory number.. how much to cut off.
Reply to
George Herold

Or use a real sine wave, a single-transistor Colpitts oscillator maybe. Nice and soft on top.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links