Oops

=46ar less attenuation per foot. Plus with electrical to optical = conversion and dense wavelength multiplexing the useful bandwidth of a pair of = fibers is over 200 Gb/s each way, for 40 km in a single step (between regenerators). I haven't heard of any coax that can to either, let alone both.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

I haven't heard of reliable transmission beyond 40 km with using some = kind of amplification in-line (Erbium Doped Fiberoptic Amplifier [EDFA], like they use in transoceanic cables).

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

cs.

endent

out

sicists

ary

ract

.

are

,

I sort of knew about that, but haven't yet got to exploit it in real life. I quite like LVDS and managed to design it into the 1998 project that never got beyond circuit diagrams (more than a 100 pages of detailed A4 sheets), but I've got a horror of PECL - if you short a PECL output to ground, you blow up the drive transistors. HP once admitted that more than 90% of the returns for repairs on their laser interferometer were caused by exactly that, but they had been silly enough to drive a coal with differential PECL, so that the cable braid was live ... which was very silly indeed.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

You might have looked. Basslink Telecom has a deployed 290 km unamplified link.

John Larkin, President       Highland Technology Inc

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

kind

like

1&bhcp=3D1

I wonder how much "lock-in ware" is involved in that. Ultra performance fiber is much of the equation here. Of course the cost of installation = is usually far more than that of the cable.

Thanks, you pointed me to something i hadn't seen before.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

undoes-faster.html? rss=1&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter#.T0VAu8O-G8w.twitter

Good discussion in

My favorite quote:

At the AAAS meeting's discussion, CERN's director of research, Sergio Bertolucci, placed his bet on what the results would be: "I have difficulty to believe it, because nothing in Italy arrives ahead of time."

("if you think you can prove that Einstein was wrong, you are wrong")

Reply to
Przemek Klosowski

You're awfully literal-minded, JKK. You actually have to polish connectors when you put them on, for one thing. The point is that saying that it was a loose connection is playing fast and loose with the truth. (Probably the journalist's fault--there's no reason to doubt the team's honesty AFAIK.)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

VAu8O-G8w.twitter

last

be

nanoseconds

computer.

takes

on

for

of

and

ns

Just the same, i have examined (and watched them being made) a _lot_ of OTDR traces, power meter readings, watched (and a few times did) fusion splicing, done core diameter checks (a bit uncommon), watched (and occasionally did) connector installation (with polishing) and pigtail installation/splicing (the norm today). And i effectively signed off on much of those installations ([say over 40 roadway miles, usually with two or three cables] i was usually the technical expert that the person with the responsibility relied on). That ran from about 10 to 18 years ago. = It has colored how i read the article.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

Roughly as predicted.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

I like Feynman's remark about string theory (maybe not verbatim): "Scientists make predictions - string theorists make excuses"

Reply to
Gib Bogle

A scientific theory can never be proven correct, only disproved. Science progresses by destroying theories.

Reply to
Gib Bogle