Oooh, pretty! (Russian chip package)

Double-checking a package name, I came on this:

The west may have had better ICs, but the Ruskies certainly found a pretty way to package them!

--
Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

On Tue, 20 Oct 2015 13:25:55 -0500, Tim Wescott Gave us:

That was a copy of a Fairchild package they stole back in the seventies.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Ha!

here's another good chip package

Cydrome Leader

That's ancient... I used to build hybrid circuits in the higher-height version of that package... a stack of three Alumina boards... ~1972... for Schlumberger down-hole measurements. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

That's pronounced "Rooskies" per Slim Pickens in Doctor Strangelove ;-) ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

And I have some sockets (round pins) those will fit into. :)

Jamie

Reply to
M Philbrook

Cool! A GOLD spider!

Reply to
Robert Baer

Wow, 1966! That is pretty ancient in the world of ICs. I have a Honeywell Alert computer that was developed for the X-16 project. They needed a computer to compute real-time energy available (momentum + altitude) and required (altitude and distance from Edwards AFB runway) so the pilot could arrive over the airfield with just the right energy to glide in.

It has date codes of 1966 also. The chips are ceramic flat-packs. It is a

24-bit CPU, with integer multiply and divide instructions (no floating point). it runs on a 3 MHz clock, and draws 125 W at 5 V. I got some manuals with it that detail the history of the project. I got a memory unit with it, but it has ZERO docs and seems to have been trashed. I have gotten the CPU to sort-of-run by jamming instructions into the memory read inputs and watching the program counter ripple up. The logic is a form of DTL, made by TI.

Supposedly, the Alert was the 2nd mass-produced IC computer, right after the Apollo Guidance Computer. "Mass produced" meaning, in this case, more than one unit was built in a lab.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

I wonder why they decided to map the pins of this evidently circular device onto that rectangular pattern. The all-circular version would look so valvesque...

Best reagrds, Piotr

Reply to
Piotr Wyderski

Of course, that should be X-15! As far as I know, there was no X-16.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

I thought that as well. I have seen ICs with that pin configuration before, quite a few of them in VCRs. They were a bit longer but had those staggere d pins, which I guess makes the PC board easier to make because less precis ion is necessary.

There is a slight possibility that it was hard to make the circular pattern on the board, but I doubt it.

I think it most likely a retrofit. The boards were already made and some un obtainium chip failed and they had to fabricate a replacement. That STILL d oes ot explain why they did it that way instead of just using the original case style out of that usual black material.

Is it possible that the pins are intended to sink heat ? Or that the packag e is intended to be on a heatsink and they went with metal for the thermal properties ?

they did alot of w2eird things back in those days, and we know it is not ne w. Russians know all about those QFP whatever packages and even BGA. Contra ry to popular belief, they are not behind in technology. Well at least not much, and certainly not THAT much.

Things are done for a reason, especially things that cost money. that is th e mystery here. the only thing that makes sense is that it is some sort of retrofit. Anyone else got any bright ideas I am all ears.

Reply to
jurb6006

with pins in a circle you can only get to the pins from the out side

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

24 bit chip computers in 1966??? Was this a hybrid of DTL logic in a package the size of a shoebox or even bigger?
--

Rick
Reply to

:

e, quite a few of them in VCRs. They were a bit longer but had those stagge red pins, which I guess makes the PC board easier to make because less prec ision is necessary.

QIL was used rather than dil mainly to enable routing of tracks. It may sou nd odd now, but having a track run between 2 0.1" DIL legs was impracticall y difficult.

rn on the board, but I doubt it.

unobtainium chip failed and they had to fabricate a replacement. That STILL does ot explain why they did it that way instead of just using the origina l case style out of that usual black material.

age is intended to be on a heatsink and they went with metal for the therma l properties ?

new. Russians know all about those QFP whatever packages and even BGA. Cont rary to popular belief, they are not behind in technology. Well at least no t much, and certainly not THAT much.

the mystery here. the only thing that makes sense is that it is some sort o f retrofit. Anyone else got any bright ideas I am all ears.

As you say russki manufacturing decisions are based on much lower budgets t han here rather than lack of knowledge. This is why the 1967 Lada was still made until '08.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

It's an automation and test issue. Simpler to align pins dual or quad in-line on an xy grid.

As the design was lifted from early US and UK developers, that particular decision was not made by this part's vendor.

The same frame lead pattern types are maintained in chip headers to this day, though not visible inside the encapsulant.

RL

Reply to
legg

On Thu, 22 Oct 2015 09:48:25 -0400, legg Gave us:

In the sixties they would say: "Fan out and solid!"

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

That package is similar to the custom ICs in the 7000 series Tek scope plugins. EG: 7A26

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

It is a computer built from chips, not a one-chip computer! The chips are SSI, several input gates and single FFs (although they have a bunch of input options). It is six boards about 6 x 12", and has NO internal connectors. So, the six boards connect to the motherboard with flexible printed cables. They were worried about flaky connectors causing a crash on a mission- critical computer. (Funny, though, it has DB-50 style connectors to the memory and I/O devices, flaky connections there would be just as bad.) The boards are ten layers or so, and have chips on both sides. The sufaces of the boards are almost all ground plane, all the power and signal traces are buried inside.

I think it is a 1/2 ATR size unit, about 5 x 7 x 18" roughly. So, bigger than a shoebox, and the memory is external.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

The same kind of funny chip packages are found in old russian calculators, see for example the internal pictures of this olf Elektronika C3-15 from my small collection :

Friendly yours, Robert

Reply to
Robert Lacoste