One or two power supply for 10 computers...

Balancing the power to each MB would be precarious at best in my experience. The other big problem that you will have w/o cases is cooling. You have to have a good amount of air moving over the processor(s) in order to pull the heat from the sinks. The most I have done this with is 5 CPUs, and I had one fan pulling from overhead.

As for power, using a micro supply will power the board(s) and a HD without too much trouble at 150W. look here

and there are many for cheap.

The cabling to power each MB (and drive) is such a mess, that separate supplies are the much better way to go.

-ScottL

Reply to
ScottL

Given how inexpensive PC power supplies are, there's no way you'd be able to find one 'super' power supply for 10 PCs for less than just buying 10 individuals ones. Even if you could find one (I mean, if you have enough money, power supplies are very much commodities and someone would be willing to build them for you), it probably wouldn't be all that much smaller than the 10 individual ones.

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

Greetings, I like to use 10 computers with motherboards only without any case. Now to plug 10 AC-DC power supply (220V) on this motherboards would be stupid. Does exist a special "big" AC-DC power supply with 10 "cables" for multiple computer motherboards?

Thanks in advanced.

Regard, Steve,

Rovetto Stefan

Depending on what you are tryign to do, you could ditch the regular desktop motherboards and go with something like a compactPCI chassis or a "blade" enclosure.

You will pay a little more, but the system will be engineered to work correctly.

Just my $0.02.

--Mac

Reply to
Mac

There are at least two serious flaws with this, besides the obvious distribution impedance problem.

1)A single fault can take down the whole system. 2)Current limits are set to reduce damage from overcurrent. Your big mother supply will have 10X the current limit. Anything that goes/gets accidentally shorted will be vaporized along with much of whatever exists between the short and the power supply. mike
--
Return address is VALID.
http://nm7u.tripod.com/homepage/te.html