Oldschool tubes

apparently there are shops that sell that sort of thing

Reply to
tabbypurr

What happens if you put a portable hole inside a portable hole?

Reply to
bitrex

Hiyooooooo! Someone's had their coffee this morning

Reply to
bitrex

My father also ran a TV/radio repair shop when I was growing up. I always thought it was fun testing tubes.

We had a tester in the front lobby like this:

We also had one like this in the back:

DemonicTubes

Yep. I enjoyed that part. The part I didn't enjoy was repairing apartment building distribution systems that got hit by lightning and the transformer potting blew out all over the inside of the chassis :-(

We had the Hickok tester. It went on service calls in case the problem was a simple tube swap-out. ...Jim Thompson

     It's what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

A black hole.

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

That's a sure sign of an open-circuit heater.

-- ~ Adrian Tuddenham ~ (Remove the ".invalid"s and add ".co.uk" to reply)

Adrian Tuddenham

Many of the early tube sets had _series_ wired filaments. So you either tested every tube, or probed every socket, trying to find the open one :-( ...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | It's what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

This one is nuclear powered

so it doesn't need a heater.

It will switch 2 megawatts.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Seems parallel wired filaments would make things even more difficult.

Reply to
krw

-------------------------

** ROTFL !!

That one deserves the nincompoop award of the month.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

No. Only the dead-filament tube wouldn't glow.

Better quality sets sported filament windings on the main transformer. ...Jim Thompson

     It's what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

Those have been on back order since 1963, along with their set of tunnel paints. :(

Reply to
Michael A Terrell

+1
Reply to
tabbypurr

On the plus side, you can get roller skis now. Instant water available soon.

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
https://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Is there any law of Physics, that Acme can't break? :)

Reply to
Michael A Terrell

That's probably the deepest philosophical question that's ever been asked on this NG!

Mike.

Reply to
Mike Coon

Falling on snow is pretty benign and often fun. Snow is soft and the coefficient of friction is low. Falling onto dirt and rocks and pavement might not be as fun.

lunatic fringe electronics

Skikes are a much better option for most people. Many rollerskis don't have brakes, or only have brakes on one ski. Skikes are like roller skis but they have larger pneumatic tyres, brakes on both, and they work with normal shoes. That makes it easier to keep your skin attached.

Clifford Heath.

Reply to
Clifford Heath
[snip]

I have an 11-year-old grandson who is, for all intents and purposes, _pro_ level at ice _and_ roller-blade hockey (*) He takes some might nasty falls (he is, as you might expect, somewhat combative ;-), but he's padded every which way from Sunday.

(*) He is the go-to-guy for the _whole_ league when a substitute player is needed.

He's the first "jock" that I know of in the family history. ...Jim Thompson

     It's what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.