Old Etching solution

At work, when I do a board I can use their disposal services rid the old etching solution.

For those that also do this at home in the US, what methods are used in your area's to depose of such chemical? Recently work has been complaining about people using their disposal services for home garbage..

I used to dilute it to a safe level and flush it how ever, this stuff really stains and the wife does not like it. We do have a oil, antifreeze etc. place, at our transfer station. Do you guys send the depleted etching there?

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

Oregon has "neighborhood hazardous waste days". They show up at a school parking lot and accept residential quantities of stuff for safe disposal/recycle. They thank me for accurate labels on all the nasty stuff I take and have never refused to take anything.

Reply to
mike

If you use ferric chloride as etchant you can reactivate it by adding HCl (hydrochloric acid). You never have to dispose it until you want to get rid of your etching gear.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

interesting.

Is there some easy trick to know how much HCl to add to regenerate your solution, and how to get the copper junk out after doing so?

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Hmm, I've never heard of that before. Maybe I should give that a try.

Now, where would I buy this off the shelf in small quantities. :)

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

Not completely. The copper junk in solution slows it down.

Etching only works if the stuff can stay oxidized. If you don't use it much, and leave the container open between uses, it will oxidize fairly well from atmospheric oxygen. Otherwise, adding an oxidizer such as bleach (sodium hypochlorite), sodium chlorate or hydrogen peroxide, slowly and with stirring and ventilation (mind the release of chlorine gas!), will oxidize it back.

Oxidizers will also enhance the etch rate. This is true even of pure copper chloride (which is the main byproduct of ferric chloride etching), which etches very slowly, in and of itself.

To remove the excess copper, you have to completely reduce the solution. The best way to do this is soaking scrap iron in the solution, which precipitates copper metal and reduces any remaining ferric (adding more iron to the solution). The resulting ferrous chloride solution must be oxidized first.

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

A pool supply shop will have HCL on hand, by the Gallon.

Chees

Reply to
Martin Riddle

I was told, " The solution to pollution is not dilution" But as I recall the radio shack etchant bottle said dump it down the toilet. MikeK

Reply to
amdx

Does that include old paint / paint cans?

Reply to
Robert Baer

Vermont had a truck that came around to the dumps every quarter or so, for the weekend. They'd take any household chemical, including paints. If you didn't want to wait for the "Rover", you could take the stuff down to the main office anytime during the weekday. I don't know what we do here. Haven't had anything like that to get rid of, yet.

Paints can be left to dry and then thrown in the trash. Adding some kitty litter will speed up the drying. Paint stores also sell a chemical that can be added to paint to speed up the solidification.

Reply to
krw

Add plaster, and you get a block that can go in the trash.

HCl can be bought as brick acid from many hardware stores.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

Over here: most drug stores and pharmacies sell HCl in 10% strength. When ferric chloride gets saturated a yellow sludge forms at the bottom of the tank. Add HCl until that disappears.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 MikeK

Yep. Still says that today.

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

AKA Muriatic Acid.

Reply to
krw

_Electronic Prototype Construction_ written by Dr. Barry Ornitz' co-worker at Eastman Chemical, Stephen Kasten , says to add it to mortar mix and send the lump to the landfill.

Mark Zenier snipped-for-privacy@eskimo.com Googleproofaddress(account:mzenier provider:eskimo domain:com)

Reply to
Mark Zenier

Which gives you twice the solution of copper contaminated hydrochloric acid. As I recall, you can plate the copper out by tossing a pad of steel wool into the copper loaded solution and the copper will plate out onto the steel wool. Neither steel nor copper is a hazmat; copper loaded spent etchant is.

Jim

Reply to
RST Engineering

28% HCl is called "Muriatic Acid" and is sold in any handyman store. $5 a gallon last time I bought it. Trust me, you don't want to screw around with HCl any stronger than that.

Jim

Reply to
RST Engineering

So what is the procedure?

Do I reduce it with iron. Add HCI Then add bleach to oxidize

OR

If I reduce it with iron Do I skip the HCI Then add bleach to oxidize.

I have had three or four bottles of used Radio Shack Ferric Chloride on the shelf for at least 5 years. Can I make it work again? MikeK

PS. Don't try to warm a glass container full of Ferric Chloride on your wife's SS burner covers. The glass cracked and FC leaked through the crack and etched a long line into the burner cover. Luckily I noticed the problem before making a huge mess out of the stove.

Reply to
amdx

Like many things, its hazmat status likely depends on the quantity.

Reply to
krw

Not really. You always lose some liquid due to evaporation. In my experience you don't need a lot of HCl to reactivate FeCl.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel