Old electronic data books

Curious! I find the old hard-copy books to be *much* more usable in every respect. It's a pity, because it would be *so* nice to carry all that info around on a thumb drive, but I simply cannot adapt to it. Sometimes there's a terrific **crash** in the middle of the night and some time the next day I'll discover it was a bookshelf that collapsed. :(

Cursitor Doom

Before just about everything was scanned and posted to various web sites, I had my collection of books on CDROM or DVD. It took me a while to get used to reading on a computah screen, but I managed. What made it worthwhile was the ability to rapidly search the text. Carrying it around with me might work with today's gigabyte SSD drives. The disk space would not be occupied by scanned books, but rather by a large searchable index of everything on the SSD. However, I'm not so desperate for fast information these days, so carrying databooks around isn't as compelling as it was 10 years ago.

Incidentally, I have 4 or 5 Kindle readers, which I load full of component data sheets and schematics for whatever project or repair that I'm working on. That has been very handy by saving me a trip up the stairs when I need a number or schematic.

I know the feeling: I removed the bookshelves before taking the photo so get a better view of the mess. I used plastic expanding screw anchors into drywall and then overloaded the shelves. I reinstalled the shelves, this time using Molly bolts: and wood screws into the wall studs where available.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

That's what my workshop floor typically resembles.

Cursitor Doom

I have hundreds of data books, on the shelves in my office, going back to 1970 or so.

They have not been touched for at least 10 years.

I am not throwing them out. Maybe one day somebody can use them. There are data sheets in them which I have not found online.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Peter