microelectrofluidic module idea

Hi,

Here is my new crazy idea to combine single or double layer circuits's with microfluidics. It uses two small mirrors, or optionally one mirror and one pane of clear glass (for single sided circuits).

First the microfluidic channels and connectors are milled (or CO2 laser cut etc) into one of the mirrors and then the circuit traces and pads are milled/engraved into the back of the mirror onto the silver layer (ie with eagle cad and pcbgcode and then the components are soldered on.

There can be LED's, lasers, photodiodes etc mounted to view the microfluidic channels, also areas of the silver layer can be milled to create electrostatic or EM fields near the microfluidic channels.

Once the two mirrors or mirror and glass are ready, they are placed glass on glass and permanently attached together, ie with a dilute solution of KOH as described by Phil Hobbs.

For two layer circuits, vias through the two pieces of glass have to be milled or CO2 laser cut, and then jumper wires inserted to attach the two layers.

Also just for making normal PCB's, small mirrors are maybe good, they are $1.25 at the dollar store for a 5" square one, and that is not much more than copper clad FR4 I guess, but the silver metal layer is very thin so only good for low current PCBs I guess.

cheers, Jamie

Reply to
Jamie M

Once you start milling or laser cutting a glass surface, you'll create a lot of damage unless you use something fancy like a femtosecond or excimer laser. The damage and the accompanying swarf will make hydroxyl bonding harder even after cleaning. (I don't know how much harder.)

Since you'll need to remove the silvering from the parts you want to bond, litho followed by HF etching would be my first choice for cutting the channels. (Not if it's being done in the basement, of course.)

HF is nasty, nasty stuff. Besides the vapour eating your lungs, if you spill it on your finger it can migrate through your skin and dissolve the bones inside. Plus it has equally nasty longer term health effects. So really really don't use it in your basement.

Anodic bonding is another approach.

You can also do chemical silvering, as is commonly done by amateur telescope makers. It would be fun to see if you can make circuits on glass that way, using a liftoff process with PC board type litho.

The silver would need to be pretty thin, because it would sit above the glass surface, and so would prevent the substrate and cover from making intimate contact, which of course they need to if you're going to bond them together. The glass surface will bend a bit, so contact will be restored some distance away from the metal lines. The distance over which that occurs goes like the square root of the layer thickness, so it can be surprisingly far unless the layer and the cover glass are both very thin.

Very thin film wiring is vulnerable to scratches and surface irregularities. (I had a very difficult time trying to make the first sensor films for Footprints by etching nickel-coated PVDF films, but that was mostly because when the film stretched even a little, the wiring cracked. Carbon ink was a biiig improvment.)

Getting wires onto the silver might be an issue as well, since it almost certainly won't stick as well as Ti:Al.

Process development is an absorbing task. (It also absorbs time, money, enthusiasm, management patience, ....)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Odd. The surface quality of chip wafers are ground pretty flat and smooth before they start building chips.

A place called Ball "Electronics" experiments (or actually makes) high end, hybrid circuits and chips on spherical shaped substrates.

LCDs are circuits so thin we cannot see them until the liquid gets 'oriented'.

We should make circuits the size of the etchings we make on the aprons of diamonds to ID them by.

I am sure that RFID technology should be what drives this.

Won't be long, we'll all be getting wifi implants.

Reply to
Abbey Somebody

Found a possibly useful paper on bonding soda lime glass with dilute HF:

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Back when I was graduate student in chemistry, I got exposed to the fluorine lab's safety kits, which were basically a bunch of big hypodermic syringes loaded with a calcium compound that could be injected under the skins to convert any fluoride present to extremely insoluble calcium fluoride.

The students and staff involved weren't supposed to self-administer, but to take the kit over to the university teaching hospital across the road and get the doctors there to do it.

The kit included colour reprints of the relevant article in the Lancet, with gruesome images of what happened if the doctors were dilatory about making the injections; fluoride poisoning isn't all that common in the general population, and the doctors needed to be motivated to get on with the injections, whence the - then expensive - colour reprints.

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen
Reply to

Thanks for all the info, I don't think I am ever interested in using HF luckily!

cheers, Jamie

Reply to
Jamie M