Ohm's law

Definitely out of phase. Lots of apparent power, no actual power.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

In chemistry, that compound is Boron, Uranium, Nitrogen, and Potassium.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Then how did they define R? Isn't Ohm's law just the definition of R?

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

On Fri, 20 Nov 2015 03:01:04 -0500, "Tom Del Rosso" Gave us:

Ohm defined what it had to be. 1 amp was a known. 1 volt was a known.

So the formula has to be what the formula is. It is what it is. He simply quantified it based on other aspects of the electrical realm, which were already in place.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

That's what I mean by 'Ohm's law defines R'.

So my question is how could they use 'R' before Ohm.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

On Fri, 20 Nov 2015 06:30:10 -0500, "Tom Del Rosso" Gave us:

Did they? Did they even consider the concept of more or less 'resistance' to flow in a circuit or resistive elements?

When did Kirchoff hit the scene?

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Read Tim's post that I quoted.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Ohm observed that current is proportional to the voltage across a conductor. That is his "law." Later, the proportionality unit was named for him. There was no R before Ohm, because the effect was not known.

Hi Tom, I don't think they had defined resistance yet. They were just looking at the relation between current and voltage... They didn't know if that was linear or not. Ohm was using thermopiles as voltage sources, ughh.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Nope. Ohm's law is a material property, not a definition. Diode circuits have volts and amps too, and they do have a very small ohmic (V=IR) range around zero bias. In a diode the nonlinear terms are large enough to dominate above about +-25 mV of bias, whereas in a metal the resistance at constant temperature hardly changes at all.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I just read the article on Barlow's law. Now I see that it wasn't stated as Tim stated it. It just referred to proportion with no units, and in terms of length and cross section.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso