"Obsolete" PIC parts

With a golden lid on there? They probably never made these in ceramic or in space-rated.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Or that you'd kept the old Westinghouse. In the basement we have a Bosch fridge from 1958. The compressor is designed for 50Hz and we run it at

60Hz which isn't a very healthy mode of operation. This fridge seems indestructible, not even the light bulb dares to burn out. Number of electronic components in there: Zero.
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg
[...]

Watch for wording such as "Not recommended for new designs". If in doubt call the manufacturer, they'll usually let you know and would suggest an alternate part.

If your design is very critical WRT how many decades it shall remain in production I'd consider switching to a 80C51 architecture. AFAICT they are the only series that truly has 2nd source, and even that only for certain packages. In terms of ubiquitousness they are similar to the Volkswagen beetle engine.

[...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Assuming the voltage is correct, that should be better than the other way around (60 Hz motor running on 50 Hz).

Reply to
Ralph Barone

it'd be an induction motor so it'd be running ~20% above design speed. basememt ambient temperature probably mitigates that somewhat.

--
umop apisdn
Reply to

  • See NO such "notice" or comment.
  • Check, used to use them back in the golden daze..

Reply to
Robert Baer

That is _SIR_ Ramic, i will have you know; harrumph!

(both Kighted and Indited)

Reply to
Robert Baer

I figured there was more margin in the max speed spec than the max flux density spec.

Reply to
Ralph Barone

Not really. It runs a much higher chance of stalling out because the nominal voltage it sees now means undervoltage at 60Hz. Induction motors can stall under those conditions and then they go PHUT. But I assume the design of that fridge was so conservative that they didn't even calculate close to the make shaft torque.