O.T. More useless stats (2023 Update)

Claim that 67% of India's population have covid antibodies. The 0th order takeaway is "they are approaching herd immunity".

Of course, that MIGHT make sense if those were evenly distributed throughout the country's geography.

So, why the emphasis on throwing out numbers that don't really let you infer anything reasonable (besides "number of pts exposed")? Or, are The Masses simply considered too unsophisticated to be able to process real data? (then why not put it in perspective for them??!)

Reply to
Don Y

Not with delta they aren't. Best estimates for herd immunity with that variant are somewhere between 95-98% or possibly even never. The rapid antibody decay after recovery from infection leaves you able to catch all the other human endemic coronaviruses after at most 12 months.

If anything the antibodies to Covid wane about twice as quickly as those for common colds so that there are UK medics who caught it once in the first wave of spring 20 and then again in the autumn/winter wave too.

UK has approximately 66% of the population double vaccinated mostly in the over 30's. The delta variant is still in full unmitigated exponential growth with a doubling time previously at 9 days before they scrapped all sensible infection control measures on Monday 19/7.

It remains to be seen what the new doubling time is with every nightclub now packed out with drunken revellers obeying no social distancing at all. I'd give it about a fortnight before we are back in lockdown.

The Netherlands has already trodden this particular path, crashed and burned. They even got an apology from their PM for his mistake.

7x increase in a week is a doubling time of under 3 days!!!

I can't see us getting anything like that from Boris the buffoon :(

People are easily misled by populist demagogues. How else could The Donald or The Boris get elected to the nation's highest office?

Put another way:

For every complex problem there is a simple wrong answer.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Martin Brown Nose wrote: ======================

** The Germans certainly were in the 1930s - but that is a notorious national weakness.

Needing to be told what to do ... ..

** Ummmm - they actually embodied the popular view?

Q:

How did & Kamala Biden get elected? Neither embodied any popular view - or same one.

** Which know nothing, raving half wits like you then post on all forms social media.

FOAD. ASAP.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Where is this news reported?

RL

Reply to
legg

Where does *that* figure come from?

That still provides 12 months to tamp it down...

But anything less than the initial infection rate "squared" would suggest some immunity afforded by infection.

And, that doesn't mean vaccination affords the same level of "(re)infection protection" as natural infection.

But, that's possible if there is a large enough (numbers) of unvaccinated population to feed on. Percentages are just that -- and of different bases.

I.e., 66 of 100 folks can be "protected" and you can still have exponential growth in the remaining 34 persons. The question is, whether it significantly spills over INTO those 66 or if it just feasts on the 34.

That -- and $5 -- will get you a cup of coffee!

I don't understand your point. An apology is little more than (often empty) words. What you want is some evidence that the mistake has resulted in some learning... change of behavior/policies.

"I'm sorry I robbed you, last week. Now, give me all your money..."

Actually, the orange one managed to get elected due to apathy in the "non-orange" crowd electorate.

Reply to
Don Y

Implied by 8 c of this document.

The problem is that at present we refuse to vaccinate anyone under 18 unless they are extremely clinically vulnerable. Result is that the R0 of delta and the herd immunity percentage are now incompatible with the rules being applied. You cannot reach herd immunity in the UK by vaccination alone so some of it has to be by infection. I understand it is different in the USA with kids 12+ ? being routinely jabbed.

Covid is now rampant here in schools. Nightclubs are now the superspreaders of choice as from last Monday. You couldn't make it up!

About 9 months before you need a booster which is why UK is planning such a booster for the most vulnerable elderly in October. Otherwise they would enter winter with rapidly waning immunity. Vaccine test subjects and Israel are already reporting waning vaccine efficacy in the earliest people to have had the vaccine during phase 3 trials.

More optimistic medics say it is too soon to be certain it is fading. However, given the propensity of other human coronavirus antibodies to fade over at most 12 months it seems more likely than not to me.

The hope was that vaccination would confer longer and stronger immunity than natural infection. It might well be stronger (100x more in those who are vaccinated after having had Covid previously) but the duration seems to be stubbornly limited in the time domain.

One of the stories yesterday was inverted. The statistics in the UK are

66% double jabbed, 75% single dose and 25% unvaccinated (approx 10% of them are refusenicks). Hospital admissions at present are 40% vaccinated and 60% unvaccinated. They didn't say fraction with one jab but it is implied elsewhere that with delta only double jabbed and two weeks elapsed time confers a decent level of protection.

Ballpark it looks like vaccination offers at least a 3x protection. It would be *very* interesting to know the 1 vs 2 jab breakdown.

Reply to
Martin Brown