Numismatic Question for you Limeys

A long time ago a British fellow mentioned that there was a denomination (pre-decimalization, I think), popularly known as a "hate you" because it was small, hard to keep track of, and nearly worthless.

Was it a half-pence? If not, what was it? Or am I dreaming?

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

OK, the "half-pence", (pronounced hape-nee) was not the smallest coin, if I remember correctly, after having been here in the USA for 45 years.

I think the 'farthing' was the smallest, or maybe a silver thrupenny bit. (They used to put these in the christmas pudding as a kind of good luck charm)

Hope this helps you.

When I see "hate you" I'm thinking Cockney rhyming slang, except that I can't think what it would rhyme with.

Reply to
ru4linux2

half=C2=B7pen=C2=B7ny (hp-n, hpn) n. pl. half=C2=B7pence (hpns) or half=C2=B7pen=C2=B7nies

  1. a. A British coin worth one half of a new penny. b. A British coin worth one half of an old penny, no longer in circulatio= n.
  2. The sum of one half of a penny.

Mart> A long time ago a British fellow mentioned that there was a denominatio=

it

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Farthing was a quarter penny. At 240 pence to the pound, you can imagine how valuable it was.

pyotr filipivich

hape-nee

Reply to
David Eather

I should add "hate me"

Reply to
David Eather

So half penny --> Hap-nee --> hate me is what we're figuring?

"Sounds good to me."

pyotr

pyotr filipivich

wouldn't that be more 'haa' pen nee'? (It has been a long time since I was in England.)

pyotr filipivich

exactly.

Reply to
David Eather

I used to love those old arithmetic questions like:

If a quarter cwt of coal costs one pound 3 shillings and 4 pence three farthings, what would be the cost of 5 tons 13 cwt and 3 quarters? regards, Mike in BC

Reply to
michael gray

Let the Record show that michael gray on or about Fri, 18 Sep 2009 01:51:42 GMT did write/type or cause to appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

In the movie "Don't raise the Bridge, lower the river" one of the schemers gets a check (or rather cheque) for half up front. one order of 'Umpteen thousand pounds seven shilling nine pence and a farthing." Repeated several times in the scene

pyotr filipivich