Nukes

Why would it be a double flash? Did most such detonations cause double flashes?

Reply to
Greegor

Bizarre.

Reply to
Greegor

There seems to be a lot of doubt about this now.

AIUI, the first flash is caused by the X-rays super-heating the air around the device. The second is caused by the shock wave of the detonation growing larger that the X-ray heated air. The first flash is brighter and very short.

I believe all atmospheric nuclear explosions would. An detonation in a vacuum wouldn't because there would be no X-ray heating of the medium or shock wave. I guess they would be invisible. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Ack! Biden flashed us too?!

Reply to
krw

Humm... didn't know about that one. Details??

And is it just me, or should more folks be concerned about the accidental "bombing" runs with live nuclear warheads? Kinda makes "loose nukes" seem like child's play.

Reply to
mpm

You are probably concerned just about the right amount. I don't multiple interlocks and failsafes unreservedly for any application. The (US at least) people designing the nuclear weapons systems were quite justifibly paranoid in the design, and i am thankful for that.

Reply to
JosephKK

An unarmed nuclear warhead was dropped in Alaska around 1970 by Air Force pilots on a training mission. The incident was even mentioned on Rowan & Martin's Laugh In' when they referenced 'An unnamed military base in Alaska'. in one of their jokes and they caught hell from the government over it. I had the AP wire story about it, but it disappeared with the rest of my original military records.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell