Now there is a statement

Now there is a statement Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 in the Bay of Bengal?

Their website:

NMRI imaging at 500o meters? New to me, impressive results!

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

New to me too. So far, all I see is an impressive claim, no result.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

"Bill Sloman"

** The news story is detail free, so is the firms web site.

Looks horribly like a cynical attempt to get cheap publicity for a failing business.

I smell fish - big bad ones.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Is your girlfriend close?

Reply to
Kennedy

Phil makes a valid point - why rudely insult him?

Reply to
David Eather

Regardless of the claim about the aircraft, which sounds a bit iffy to me, you can do magnetic resonance detection without those big magnets we all know from the hospital machines. The earths field provides enough to get proton resonance down near 1.5 KHz. And you can use that to measure extremely small changes in the field - like disturbances from magnetic objects. Geological survey equipment has been doing this for years.

--
Regards,

Adrian Jansen           adrianjansen at internode dot on dot net
Note reply address is invalid, convert address above to machine form.
Reply to
Adrian Jansen

There are two problems. First of all, magnetic anomalies are dipoles, so that the field strength drops off like 1/R**2. Second, you're fighting Laplace's equation, which means that the lateral resolution is no better than the distance to the object.

So if your object is a mile down, your resolution is roughly +- a mile, and the sensitivity is reduced commensurately.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

On a sunny day (Thu, 01 May 2014 08:29:25 +1000) it happened Adrian Jansen wrote in :

Cool, need to read up on that. Maybe there is oil under my house :-) Or gold ;-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Looks like pure bullshit cut from the same cloth as this magic device for finding explosives in Iraq, Thailand and Afghanistan. A souped-up novelty golf ball detector that works by the principles of dousing.

No surprise that it impresses Jan though.

I have a lot more confidence in Inmarsat's computed arc of last contact.

I can find no trace of the alleged "relevant" EU patent either. Actually I can and it looks about as well founded as homeopathy.

It also has f*ck all to do with remote sensing.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

g-malaysia-plane-2014-4

Recall the scandal in France where a company sold the government on a high res system to detect oil and gold. They had a box and flew it in an airplan e. It was a small person (midget to some) inside the box - a classic. I kid you not. Took them for over 100 million as I recall.

Reply to
haiticare2011

malaysia-plane-2014-4

But can't you overcome that limitation by taking multiple measurements, as in SAM - Synthetic Aperture Magnetography? Isn't that how MRI works? If det ectors were limited by distance to emitter, then how can geese zero in on t argets at high resolution and get to their breeding grounds? Just wondering .

Reply to
haiticare2011

NMR gradiometers to map magnetic fields have been used since a long time, yes, but that's not at all the same thing as NMR imaging, which Georesonance apparently claims to be doing.

Mapping the composition of stuff under water and under ground from kilometers away with sufficient resolution to detect the presence of an airplane wreck? Wow! I don't believe it.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
jeroen Belleman

On a sunny day (Thu, 01 May 2014 11:39:10 +0200) it happened jeroen Belleman wrote in :

If it is true they can detect a plane, then they can also detect a submarine. So what they see could just as well be a submarine. Interesting military implications, how fast is their system?

And to reverse the idea, do they see anything where the current search is? If not that would be a big issue.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Their website:

Laplace's equation is a very tough adversary.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Their website:

That's what happens when you don't read your history.

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

There was no midget involved, as far as I know. Just a few con-men and a concealed photocopier.

Chess-playing automata are real these days, however. We live in interesting times...

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
jeroen Belleman

These days computer chess is at a stage where the best amateur engines can beat the human world champions too. Kasparov really could not believe it when IMBs custom hardware Deep Blue actually outsmarted him.

Hsu's book "Behind Deep Blue" is an interesting read for anyone interested in computer chess at the highest level.

These days the challenge for AI is to beat a top Go player on a full size board. That is still a long way off...

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

My impression from Georesonance's website is that they are detecting characteristic chemical signatures by multispectral image analysis. The company does appear to be real, but they are very coy about their methods. They make lots of use of satellite imagery. Nor would it be so easy to use an active NMI sensor from 100 miles up.

Look for aluminum corrosion products, then other elements.

CNN had a better story:

..

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

On a sunny day (Sun, 04 May 2014 14:00:41 -0400) it happened Joe Gwinn wrote in :

Yes I did read that, and now again, it seems to me there is a real possibility that plane was accidently shot down by a military exercise[1], and to avoid a direct confrontation with China the big cover up is going on. The 'plane returned' radar came from teh mil. Conspiracy theory?

[1] A near miss with a missile was also reported the same week elsewhere. And I think one poster here already mention this (Speff? but then shot by China.

But why not look with the sat where they are searching now?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I think they said that they did that, but found nothing.

The authorities are skeptical because the Bay of Bengal location is not on or near to the arc of last known ping locations.

The CNN piece showed these diffuse images of images by chemical element, but no way did they get any such thing from a satellite od something unders at least 300 meters of seawater. But CNN never said that these were from Georesonance, so there may be no real connection.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn